Page 28 of 521 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I see AJ has nominated for the mid-season draft! And I think we are the only club that cannot draft him.
    I think we can draft him as he nominated for last year’s draft. I don’t think we will. I’d be surprised if any club does, not until he gets back to playing football again at some level ( and even then he is, sadly for him, a long shot).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Maybe, though we took Leonardis before Dawson, so might have still taken Dawson had we used up points on Dunkley. Though Leonardis was drafted for his pace (and Dawson not) so if both had been on the board, Leonardis might still have been the priority.
    IIRC, if we took Dunkley we would not have had any of those picks in the 50s. In fact, I think it may have cost us points in the following year. Dawson may still have been available at the end of the draft, but who can say?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    From memory he didn't want to play for the Swans? So we made a decision to not nominate him. Please correct me if I'm wrong
    I think Dunkley jnr seemed to become enmeshed with Dunkley seniors gripe with the Swans (and Roos in particular), the exact ins and outs are beyond my current powers of recollection.

Callan Ward like Papley had a legendary Swans grandfather (Bill Gunn) - we took Patrick Veszpremi instead of him.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

This article by Mick McGuane in the Hun includes a video of Jared Crouch saying Longmire’s great strength is his teaching ability. Hence he’s the right man for the rebuild.

Category: | Herald Sun

There are a few interesting points made in the article by Mick McGuane:

“The Swans fielded the youngest side of any team last week at an average age of 23, with 14 players under 25. They have just six players who have played over 100 games and 10 who are less than 50 games into their careers.”

“To me Heath Grundy and Kieren Jack must be retired this season. Nick Smith is obviously out injured at the moment and he too is on his last legs aged 30.”

“Then you’ve got in my opinion, a potentially different case in Jarrad McVeigh at 34. Based on his footy smarts we know he’s more than capable from what we’ve seen when he is on the park. His education on the ground with the young players — the way he sees it and how he instructs it — that could be enormously beneficial in a rebuild.”

“But you can’t carry the four of those guys because you won’t rejuvenate or re-energise as a team if you do.”
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 3rd May 2019 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post

Callan Ward like Papley had a legendary Swans grandfather (Bill Gunn) - we took Patrick Veszpremi instead of him.
    I didn't know this. And I wish I still didn't! Callan Ward IS a Gunn!! Would love him in our team.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This article in the Hun includes a video of Jared Crouch saying Longmire’s great strength is his teaching ability. Hence he’s the right man for the rebuild.

Category: | Herald Sun

There are a few interesting points made:

“The Swans fielded the youngest side of any team last week at an average age of 23, with 14 players under 25. They have just six players who have played over 100 games and 10 who are less than 50 games into their careers.”

“To me Heath Grundy and Kieren Jack must be retired this season. Nick Smith is obviously out injured at the moment and he too is on his last legs aged 30.”

“Then you’ve got in my opinion, a potentially different case in Jarrad McVeigh at 34. Based on his footy smarts we know he’s more than capable from what we’ve seen when he is on the park. His education on the ground with the young players — the way he sees it and how he instructs it — that could be enormously beneficial in a rebuild.”

“But you can’t carry the four of those guys because you won’t rejuvenate or re-energise as a team if you do.”
    The quotes you give are from Mick McGuane not Crouch.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    The quotes you give are from Mick McGuane not Crouch.
    Yes sorry. That’s just me not being clear. I’ve clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Our draft decision making in the last few years has been questionable at best.
    Dunkley didn't want to come to us. We did him a favour, presumably, because he would have gone home after a couple of years anyway.

Senior Player
    Why bother doing him the favour though?

There was no benefit to us whatsoever

Should’ve let him just try his luck in the open draft

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Why bother doing him the favour though?

There was no benefit to us whatsoever

Should’ve let him just try his luck in the open draft
    Other than being nice to the family of a valued ex-player / building bridges (if there were bridges to be built) / keeping a chance of persuading Kyle to nominate under FS if he proved to be worth it (bearing in mind he was many years off draft age at the time).

The Swans will never come out and admit they wouldn't have drafted him at any bid had that come from a Victorian club, as it would probably amount to draft tampering. But there were plenty of reasons for them to try and help the Dunkleys out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Overall the Swans do very well recruiting - but they seem to have had quite a bit of poor luck with very high draft picks, for one reason or another O'Keefe 06, Veszpremi 07, Lewis Johnston 08, Rohan/Jetta 09, Lamb 10, Mitchell 11 all failed to live up to the public expectations at the Swans.
    Yet at the same time (and compensating for this anomaly) the Swans have frequently unearthed fantastic players from further down the main draft and form the rookie drafts.

Just a Saturday arvo thought bubble (and I know the reasons are various) - but is there something in the Swans blue collar Bloods ethos that encourages many recruits, but is less palatable to the much lauded "hot-house flowers" that inhabit the higher reaches of the national draft?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Overall the Swans do very well recruiting - but they seem to have had quite a bit of poor luck with very high draft picks, for one reason or another O'Keefe 06, Veszpremi 07, Lewis Johnston 08, Rohan/Jetta 09, Lamb 10, Mitchell 11 all failed to live up to the public expectations at the Swans.
    Yet at the same time (and compensating for this anomaly) the Swans have frequently unearthed fantastic players from further down the main draft and form the rookie drafts.

Just a Saturday arvo thought bubble (and I know the reasons are various) - but is there something in the Swans blue collar Bloods ethos that encourages many recruits, but is less palatable to the much lauded "hot-house flowers" that inhabit the higher reaches of the national draft?
    Agree with that list (except Mitchell) although Rohan and Jetta have had decent careers up to this point without being stars!

But the recruiting and scouting has advanced a long, long way from even those later years you mentioned and we haven't really had a good crack at a top 10 pick since then barring a few Academy selections.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk