Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What do we do with Naismith then?

- - - Updated - - -

With a fit list our Ruck division is:
    Naismith. No 1.
    Sinclair. No. 2
    Knoll. Development.
    Cameron, Amartey: pinch hitters.

That's not the worst in the league. Do we really have to go after a big name Ruck?
    Naismith should've been delisted. Always injured and when he played (3 years ago?) offered absolutely nothing around the park. The game has moved to the point where the ruckman needs a sufficient engine to play as an additional midfielder and also provide a target forward whilst "resting". Happy to be proven wrong when he comes back but I have serious reservations about him as our number 1 ruck. Preuss would be a great option - he comes from a rugby background so would feel at home in Sydney (although he is a Queenslander!)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No. Not yet. Just out of contract.

I reckon the chances of him leaving Collingwood in the near future are very low, while the chances of him leaving Melbourne (big footy city) to move to Sydney (small footy city, not home) are close to zero.
    The only advantage we may have is the capacity to pay him more money.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Naismith should've been delisted. Always injured and when he played (3 years ago?) offered absolutely nothing around the park. The game has moved to the point where the ruckman needs a sufficient engine to play as an additional midfielder and also provide a target forward whilst "resting". Happy to be proven wrong when he comes back but I have serious reservations about him as our number 1 ruck. Preuss would be a great option - he comes from a rugby background so would feel at home in Sydney (although he is a Queenslander!)
    I still think about how we played so well with Naismith in our team in the second half of 2016. We haven't won hitout counts since he last played. His career record is 19-9. I'm looking forward to him coming back into the team at the end of this year.

Senior Player
    Naismith used to get first hands on the ball and his agility around the ground was pretty good. Hopefully he can get back to that standard although it was a while ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Naismith used to get first hands on the ball and his agility around the ground was pretty good. Hopefully he can get back to that standard although it was a while ago now.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towelled up by Zac Smith and Ben McEvoy around the park, both not noted for having big engines. If you look at his game stats, hit outs aside, they are ordinary. He will be a passenger in the modern game, unless he can tap it into our kids laps virtually every time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swa...15-p527d2.html

McHack is injured again.
    We won't see him play in the red & whites again, me thinks.
    +6

How about just scrubbing this post please mods... it’s totally inappropriate .

It wouldn’t be impossible to move on Sinclair and or Naismith to get Grundy but that would pretty much have to happen to ensure $ available

Sinkers just signed on for two years till 2021 and Naismith has another year or two ?

Grundy would be an absolute ideal opportunity for us though and would give us a great advantage in the ruck and dominating from clearance

To me seems like a long shot sadly

Senior Player
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Towelled up by Zac Smith and Ben McEvoy around the park, both not noted for having big engines. If you look at his game stats, hit outs aside, they are ordinary. He will be a passenger in the modern game, unless he can tap it into our kids laps virtually every time.
    Was very good when we hammered Cats in 2016 PF

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Was very good when we hammered Cats in 2016 PF
    I'll confess, can't remember the match in clear detail except we won!
    The stats say he got 4 disposals, kicked 1:1 and had 18 hit outs. Tippett contributed 4 hit outs.
    Blicavs got 13 disposals, 17 hit outs, Stanley 11 and 11 with 1 goal, Smith 5 and 18.
    Looks like the cats won the hit outs pretty convincingly yet we smashed them all the same. Let's hope that happens tonight!

Senior Player
    I'll confess, can't remember the match in clear detail except we won!
    The stats say he got 4 disposals, kicked 1:1 and had 18 hit outs. Tippett contributed 4 hit outs.
    Blicavs got 13 disposals, 17 hit outs, Stanley 11 and 11 with 1 goal, Smith 5 and 18.
    Looks like the cats won the hit outs pretty convincingly yet we smashed them all the same. Let's hope that happens tonight!
    Impressive analytics RD! Not always the full story. Grundy a pipe dream but we do need something.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No. Not yet. Just out of contract.

I reckon the chances of him leaving Collingwood in the near future are very low, while the chances of him leaving Melbourne (big footy city) to move to Sydney (small footy city, not home) are close to zero.
    I totally and whole heartedly agree.

But I said the same thing about one Lance Franklin a few years ago.

Lightning strikes only once?? I fear so.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I totally and whole heartedly agree.

But I said the same thing about one Lance Franklin a few years ago.

Lightning strikes only once?? I fear so.
    I don't think it was a surprise Franklin wanting out of Melbourne. I was surprised he came to us because I didn't think we'd be able to fit him into the cap, but he clearly wasn't enjoying the media focus on him (off-field). Hall was similar (proving that lightning can strike twice).

Grundy is younger and doesn't attract unwanted off-field attention from the media. He's not in a situation where getting out of the spotlight would appear to be a factor.