I tried to post this a couple of days ago but something went awry and now I'll try again.

With the resumption of the season hoving on to the horizon, the time has come to start talking about round 2. Some might say it is too early - we don't even know the opposition, the venue, the date or the rules that will apply (extended benches? interchange cap?). I say bugger that let's kick this conversation off.

Opposition

In the original fixture we were next slated to play Essendon at home at the SCG. After the season was suspended the AFL said the opponents fixtured for the next 4 rounds would remain unchanged when the season resumed, even if other things changed. However, there has been a fair bit of water under the bridge since then and I think that could easily change, and probably will. Personally I would like for our next match to be against Essendon at home because I view them as beatable and it could help us build momentum into our season.

Venue

I'm unclear what the latest is about hubs and what not. It seems there might be half a dozen teams based in Queensland (QLD, SA & WA teams). It is probable there will be a hub of some sort in Victoria. I heard some talk we might be sent to Tassie. I don't really have any idea where we'll be playing. If we can't have home ground advantage then would be good to get experience playing on the MCG, acclimatising to its dimensions etc. That said, I believe we have a pretty good record in Tassie in recent years.

Date

Compared to Friday morning when I was last writing this thread-opener, we now know the season will resume on Thursday 11 June, apparently with Collingwood v Richmond (I think I read this info was attributed to Eddie Maguire). So, only 3.5 weeks to go!

Selection

Possibly the most interesting thing we can begin discussing is selection. Ronke hyperextended his knee in Round 1 and likely won't be available and so will go out of the team. Conversely it is to be hoped that both Buddy and Hewett will be ready to go and pretty much automatic inclusions in the 22 (if there will only be 22). If that's the case then someone will have to make way. Assuming there's no form issues I would guess that would be McInerney out. Reid on the other hand doesn't look like he'll be ready to play within a month because although he's resumed running he's coming from a fair way back.

If on the other hand the bench is extended, might give opportunity to someone like Stephens, Fox, Ling, Stoddart or possibly (but hopefully not) Clarke or Thurlow.

However that thinking will be affected by how all the players have dealt with the lockdown and training in isolation. Deja was commenting in the other thread that Squizzy looks out of shape (same as he did when he arrived at the club - so maybe that's just his physique?) - possibly he's let himself go a bit and will struggle to get back to good enough shape to play round 2. Will be a significant change to the team structure if two small forwards go out and are replaced by two different type of players. Feasible though because we would still have Papley, Gray and Hayward. Keep us unpredictable.

Your thoughts?