Page 128 of 529 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,525 to 1,536 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    O’Brien was another handy player that came from the aints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about him, but limited my comment to absolute champions.

Jayson Daniels wasn’t bad for us either (though they took him back).

There have been a lot either way but we seem to have lost a lot: David Windbanks, Silvio Foschini, Paul Morwood (both ways), Fred Campbell, Scott Direen, Troy Gray, Neill, Adam Schneider, Sean Dempster.

But, Plugger, BBB & Roy (& Dunks) are pretty big wins for us I’d say

Senior Player
    Speaking of St Kilda, in 1998, we drafted Nic Fosdike at 3, Ryan Fitzgerald at 4 and Jude Bolton at 8, but we neglected NSW product and three times All Australian Lenny Hayes who went to St Kilda at number 11. In hindsight it is easy to say we should have picked Hayes over say Fosdick or Fitzgerald, just as some are saying we should have picked Serong over Stephens.

Some also keep mentioning what a tragedy it would be if we lost Stephens a top 5 pick for around a pick 10 or second round draft pick, but the reality is, draft picks are part lottery, in that clubs can never get it 100% right.

There were some articles a couple of weeks ago about how Money Ball came to the AFL and that was driven by the data at the time that around 50% of high draft picks don't have long successful careers.

Look at our 2016 draft, we took Florent at 11 and Hayward at 21.

We could have goeten Jarrod Berry (17), Sam Powell-Pepper (18), Tim English (19), Shai Bolton (29), Tom Stewart!!! (40), Luke Ryan (66!).

Of course we have had success with late draft picks too, but I guess I am saying we shouldn't angst too much about a pick 5 that hasn't done as well yet as some of the picks that came after him. Even if he doesn't come good for us, that is just the win some/lose some that is inherent in drafting young players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Nobody is paying Stephens $400k +
    Carlton LOL!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I found the Lyon critique weird, not because he's wrong about the uncertainty at Collingwood - that was fair enough

But given what a laughing stock of rolling personnel, coaches and strategies Carlton has been, how he sees 'certainty' there, I'll never know.
    He's not in the running for the Pies job so is tipping a bucket on them but is in the running for the Carlton job - IF they sack Teague

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'm sick of the Saints getting our players. Don't they know how to pick someone at the draft and develop them? They're fast becoming another parasitic club.
    At last count they had 17 players from other clubs and still don't appear to be getting far. Will make a big play for King next year

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    He's not in the running for the Pies job so is tipping a bucket on them but is in the running for the Carlton job - IF they sack Teague
    Yes, and endearing himself to Blues supporters as he does it

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    You’re right, his motivation is clear. But his logic contradicts itself.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I remember Hall coming over and knew that Plugger also came from the Saints. Didn't realise that Dunks was tied to them. He was close to my favourite player when I started following the Swans.

Memory can be selective and this is a timely reminder of who we've benefitted from grabbing through the recruitment process.

I still don't like the Saints.
    I remember the saints in 2005 preliminary final... fond memories..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    I remember the saints in 2005 preliminary final... fond memories..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Hall did some fine tap work on Matty McGuire that match. Then there was the fabulous sight of Gehrig's nasty mullet trailing Baz when he was moved to backline to try and quell him.

I watch our 2005 and 2012 final's campaigns every summer when I'm desperate for footy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Yes, and endearing himself to Blues supporters as he does it
    Hardly ever watch Footy Classifieds but saw Lyon's job application last night. Flattered Carlton and poured a bucket on Collingwood. Normally a fan of his but found it a bit embarrassing watching how obvious it was and how he was sucking up to Eddy and Caroline Wilson as well.
    Last edited by liz; 19th August 2021 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting

2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Imagine how bad the squeeze would be if we’d met the pay demands of Mitchell, Jones, Newman etc and also kept Aliir.

It’s good in a sense that we have hard decisions to make - will be very interesting which way we go.

I’ve always been a Sam Reid fan and I think Longmire is as well, so it would be a big call to let him go, but it has to be considered. Hewitt as well, as much as I would like to keep him also.

We probably have to take some risks and choose to only keep one of a couple of ‘pairs’ of similar players (eg. choose between Armartey and McLean) - I can’t see both of them in the same team with McDonald long term, so it would’ve a waste to keep both now and have someone else squeezed out.

It’s a luxury to have all of Papley, Wicks, Ronke and Taylor as permanent small forward options.

We might have to take the risk and go with Hickey and then Armartey and McLean as the only backup in the ruck for next year.

Who is coming out of contract might decide that, unless we can trade the one under contract.

I’d seriously consider trading Lloyd if we could get a decent offer - not saying he hadn’t been good for us, but if things are getting desperate we have to consider everything, and he squeezed us on his last deal so is on good money but we have plenty of good ball users in the back half now who could backfill his role. He’s also about to turn 28.

I’d be really disappointed to lose Stephens - it would just be a complete waste of a pick 5 so soon, particularly as it wouldn’t be freeing up a huge amount of money. We’d probably at best get a late 2nd round pick back in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Imagine how bad the squeeze would be if we’d met the pay demands of Mitchell, Jones, Newman etc and also kept Aliir.

It’s good in a sense that we have hard decisions to make - will be very interesting which way we go.

I’ve always been a Sam Reid fan and I think Longmire is as well, so it would be a big call to let him go, but it has to be considered. Hewitt as well, as much as I would like to keep him also.

We probably have to take some risks and choose to only keep one of a couple of ‘pairs’ of similar players (eg. choose between Armartey and McLean) - I can’t see both of them in the same team with McDonald long term, so it would’ve a waste to keep both now and have someone else squeezed out.

It’s a luxury to have all of Papley, Wicks, Ronke and Taylor as permanent small forward options.

We might have to take the risk and go with Hickey and then Armartey and McLean as the only backup in the ruck for next year.

Who is coming out of contract might decide that, unless we can trade the one under contract.

I’d seriously consider trading Lloyd if we could get a decent offer - not saying he hadn’t been good for us, but if things are getting desperate we have to consider everything, and he squeezed us on his last deal so is on good money but we have plenty of good ball users in the back half now who could backfill his role. He’s also about to turn 28.

I’d be really disappointed to lose Stephens - it would just be a complete waste of a pick 5 so soon, particularly as it wouldn’t be freeing up a huge amount of money. We’d probably at best get a late 2nd round pick back in return.
    I've been wondering recently, if Reid, Amartey and McLean are fighting for two list spots; as they are all essentially forwards, who can provide a bit of ruck relief.

In regards to ruck back up, I'm reasonably confident that young McAndrew will provide some sort of an option. He's still raw, but he's 209cm, with a bit of pace, some tackling ability and he was just starting to take a few contested marks.