Page 134 of 529 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,597 to 1,608 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, I'd definitely prefer to keep George, as every team needs those selfless players who do the hard work that lets others shine, George is a solid player in his own right, and as well as we're developing our midfield, we've seen in recent weeks it only needs a couple of injuries to make him essential.

But, I get it if he leaves. My thoughts on Carlton are well known. But if they a) guarantee him a starting square slot to help ease pressure on Cripps and Walsh, and b) can give him a financial offer we can't match (say, four years at $500K, vs 2 or 3 years at $380K), you'd probably take it if you were him.

And for us, beyond JPK, we have Parker and Mills to lead, Rowbottom and Warner emerging, Gulden will go in there more, JMac has shown he can, Heeney at times, Dawson on a wing, etc etc. Plus we free up cash, and potentially get a second rounder in compensation we can use as part of our efforts to get another list hole filled - ie, KPD

As I said, I'd rather keep him, but sometimes things have to give on both salary cap and list strategy.
    That reflects my overall view as well. Definitely prefer to keep him, but can understand if he goes. Hopefully he finds somewhere better than the cardboard dickheads to end up however - if you want to go to a club just to play out your career, then that is the place to go these days.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That reflects my overall view as well. Definitely prefer to keep him, but can understand if he goes. Hopefully he finds somewhere better than the cardboard dickheads to end up however - if you want to go to a club just to play out your career, then that is the place to go these days.
    Why do you speak about Carlton in that way? What is the back story?

I think the interesting thing about our (emerging) midfield is the mix.

I'll be clear on one thing first: JPK is irreplaceable. He was THE best clearance/contested player in the AFL in the last decade. Not our team, the entire comp. When it came to the barge and bullock of big bodies colliding, and literally ripping the ball out to our advantage, no one came close. Other players could do more with the ball, but in actually winning a contest, he was no1.

So, there is that context to what I say here, which is the two types of players we have. And each can do a bit of the other of course.

I put the contested bulls in one bucket (knowing they all have other skills too, like Parker and his marking or goalkicking). But they are Parker and Mills, with Rowbottom and Warner showing traits. Hewett also falls in this category.

There are then those best placed to use the ball types: Florent, Dawson, Heeney, JMac, Gulden, and in future Blakey and Campbell and hopefully Stephens. Papley is in the this camp when he's in there.

I haven't seen enough of Sheather to know where he might fall.

Now, as I said, some can mix and match. Heeney for example could easily play inside mid if he had to, but his fitness and skills demand he play more outside. As Papley and JMac have shown at times, you need a diverse mix in the square at centre bounces.

But if there is an argument for keeping Hewett (and I favour that camp), it's that our inside stocks aren't quite as rich and as much a sure thing as our outside stocks.
    Sheather is probably more of a bull. To me, the more eye catching features of his game, are the power of his tackling and the fact that he tends to beeline the ball. That being said, I don't think I've seen him attend that many centre bounces. In his academy cohort, those duties fell mainly to Gulden, Campbell and Thorne. And in this year's VFL, he mainly played forward pocket, while senior players like Clarke, Taylor, Grey etc were the main inside mids.

And speaking of the academy: the only player from our academy, who has been invited to the draft combine is Angus Anderson. He's a big bodied, hard at it mid, from a rugby league background. I liked what I saw of him at academy level, and I think he's possibly good enough for a late draft/rookie spot. Definitely worth a VFL contract.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 24th August 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Talking about the midfield does my head in.

"The Swans have the deepest midfield in the league; maybe not the best, but the deepest. "

Even if we accept your arguments about quantity (and I don't for a second accept we have the deepest midfield in the AFL), Ludwig, building the quality of our first choice midfield is important too.

Hewett IS a quality, underrated midfielder and I'd love to keep him. However, there are other players we can less afford to lose including Parker and Dawson (who are also out of contract), and youth like McInerney, Warner, Gulden, Campbell etc. If we need cap space he is one of the ones whose departure could offer us some relief. So I am prepared to countenance his departure if need be. I trust out list managers to make the right calls - even though they don't always get it right, they mostly do.

What we do need is KPP and ruck depth. Daniel Talia is on the market. His brother didn't work out too well for us and so I'm not sure if he would consider coming to play for us but, if he would, what do people think? Could be a good stopgap while we get some younger talent up to speed. He's the kind of inexpensive top up player that could help us if he can overcome his injuries (obviously we'd have to do our due diligence). He'd surely be an upgrade on Brand and worth it even if he costs a bit more.

Just a thought, what about Paddy McCartin. Why not list him on the rookie list? He is already at the club, can play defense and would impact the salary cap too much.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    It's reference to the Pratts and Visy.

And everything to do with Carlton is farcical.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

They're dickheads because they're Carlton. QED. They're cardboard because they are sponsored by Visy. Visy are: "one of the world's largest privately owned paper, packaging and recycling companies". The deceased owner of Visy, Richard Pratt, was also a former Carlton under-19s VFL player and later President of Carlton FC. Hence there is a close association with cardboard. So fitting.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I would of thought the cardboard reference would be obvious (and it actually fits quite nicely with the Plastics reference for GWS -> as we all know Carlton are trying to be GWS in disguise :P), but the broader hatred is for how they tried to pick over our dying carcass in the 90s - they had already planned out how they would make the Sydney market their own, and were very happy to let us wither on the branch.

They can rot in hell - long may they remain mediocre.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Bored at work. My quick take on everyone still out of contract

Barry O'Connor - ? Don't know enough about unfortunately.

Ben Ronke – delist. Unfortunately I don’t think he has much trade value.

Callum Sinclair – 1 more year as a back up to Hickey and Naismith (cheap contract).

Colin O'Riordan – delist or trade I'd imagine. We have a lot of young half back types coming through who you'd suspect would push COR out. Could easily be offered a cheap 1-2 yr contract as well.

Dylan Stephens – suspect he wants out. I’m happy to see him go if it means keeping Dawson, Hewett and Parker. Haven't seen what others have seen in him personally.

George Hewett - On the fence on this one. Like him as a player and a person but he is behind Kennedy, Parker and Mills and is allegedly on $500k PA. I would try and keep if we can afford him, but he is behind Dawson and Parker as priority resignings.

Hayden McLean – try to keep, offer 3 year deal. However St Kilda are interested so may get poached. While I'd prefer to keep him, I don't think he'll be as big a lose as other previous fringe players like Membrey or Nankervis.

James Bell – delist. I know others like him, but I just don’t see it at all.

Jordan Dawson – MUST KEEP. Sounds like he’ll stay but the salary situation is tight. My understanding is that we may need to move Reid or Hewett on to keep.

Kaiden Brand – handy backup but could easily be delisted. Would probably rather Paddy McCartin. Be interesting to see if the club keeps him considering our KPD stocks. I suspect the club may delist.

Luke Parker – allegedly asking for $700k a year for 4 years. You think he stays and is obviously a must keep but I presume his current situation depends on the situation of Reid, Dawson and Hewett.

Malachy Carruthers - ? Don't know enough about unfortunately.

Matthew Ling – Hurts to say about a first round draft pick and great guy but … delist.

Robbie Fox – keep. Most on here know I'm a big fan. Should see a promotion to the senior list. 2 year deal sounds appropriate.

Ryan Clarke – delist or trade. Only way he stays is if both Hewett and Parker leave which is highly unlikely and catastrophic. I think he is still capable of senior level footy, but we already have too many slow midfielders, hope he gets an opportunity at a 3rd club.

Sam Gray – delist. The 2yr deal seemed like a good idea to me at the time. Alas...

Sam Reid – my big call … TRADE. In order to free up salary space for Dawson, Hewett and Parker I’m happy to see Sam Reid go. He has been serviceable for us for a long time with flashes of brilliance but has never amounted to that special KPF we all thought he would be. Still think about his 2012 GF goal once a week. Amartey, McDonald and McLean will fill the gap.

Sam Wicks – keep. Been great this year. Suspect 2-3yr deal soon.

Will Gould – delist. Just doesn’t seem to be up to it in my opinion. Hasn't really knocked down the selector's door to play once in his tenure.
    Last edited by longmile; 24th August 2021 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Bored at work. My quick take on everyone still out of contract

Barry O'Connor - ? Don't know enough about unfortunately.

Ben Ronke – delist. Unfortunately I don’t think he has much trade value.

Callum Sinclair – 1 more year as a back up to Hickey and Naismith (cheap contract).

Colin O'Riordan – delist or trade I'd imagine. We have a lot of young half back types coming through who you'd suspect would push COR out. Could easily be offered a cheap 1-2 yr contract as well.

Dylan Stephens – suspect he wants out. I’m happy to see him go if it means keeping Dawson, Hewett and Parker. Haven't seen what others have seen in him personally.

George Hewett - On the fence on this one. Like him as a player and a person but he is behind Kennedy, Parker and Mills and is allegedly on $500k PA. I would try and keep if we can afford him, but he is behind Dawson and Parker as priority resignings.

Hayden McLean – try to keep, offer 3 year deal. However St Kilda are interested so may get poached. While I'd prefer to keep him, I don't think he'll be as big a lose as other previous fringe players like Membrey or Nankervis.

James Bell – delist. I know others like him, but I just don’t see it at all.

Jordan Dawson – MUST KEEP. Sounds like he’ll stay but the salary situation is tight. My understanding is that we may need to move Reid or Hewett on to keep.

Kaiden Brand – handy backup but could easily be delisted. Would probably rather Paddy McCartin. Be interesting to see if the club keeps him considering our KPD stocks. I suspect the club may delist.

Luke Parker – allegedly asking for $700k a year for 4 years. You think he stays and is obviously a must keep but I presume his current situation depends on the situation of Reid, Dawson and Hewett.

Malachy Carruthers - ? Don't know enough about unfortunately.

Matthew Ling – Hurts to say about a first round draft pick and great guy but … delist.

Robbie Fox – keep. Most on here know I'm a big fan. Should see a promotion to the senior list. 2 year deal sounds appropriate.

Ryan Clarke – delist or trade. Only way he stays is if both Hewett and Parker leave which is highly unlikely and catastrophic. I think he is still capable of senior level footy, but we already have too many slow midfielders, hope he gets an opportunity at a 3rd club.

Sam Gray – delist. The 2yr deal seemed like a good idea to me at the time. Alas...

Sam Reid – my big call … TRADE. In order to free up salary space for Dawson, Hewett and Parker I’m happy to see Sam Reid go. He has been serviceable for us for a long time with flashes of brilliance but has never amounted to that special KPF we all thought he would be. Still think about his 2012 GF goal once a week. Amartey, McDonald and McLean will fill the gap.

Sam Wicks – keep. Been great this year. Suspect 2-3yr deal soon.

Will Gould – delist. Just doesn’t seem to be up to it in my opinion. Hasn't really knocked down the selector's door to play once in his tenure.
    Agree about most, but that's a pretty brutal cull for some players - pacifically, COR may yet be in our best-22 for finals. Gould and Stephens, the perplexing pair from South Australia, I am none the wiser, but suspect both could be gorn next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Agree about most, but that's a pretty brutal cull for some players - pacifically, COR may yet be in our best-22 for finals. Gould and Stephens, the perplexing pair from South Australia, I am none the wiser, but suspect both could be gorn next year.
    Agree my call on COR being delisted is a bit harsh and maybe unlikely. But you'd think the club would be either considering a relatively cheap 2 year deal or trading. He's been with us for 6 years and has struggled to get a consistent game. You'd imagine Fox, Blakey, McInerney and Campbell will continue to move past him next year.

After reading Brandon Jack's book, the life of a fringe player is not one I envy.
    Last edited by longmile; 24th August 2021 at 05:52 PM.

I think the interesting thing about our (emerging) midfield is the mix.

I'll be clear on one thing first: JPK is irreplaceable. He was THE best clearance/contested player in the AFL in the last decade. Not our team, the entire comp. When it came to the barge and bullock of big bodies colliding, and literally ripping the ball out to our advantage, no one came close. Other players could do more with the ball, but in actually winning a contest, he was no1.
    I agree about JPK, and here is where my approach to list management is a bit different than many others.

I accept that JPK is irreplaceable, so I don't even consider trying to replace him. Every year our player mix changes and our game styles changes as well to suit the evolving mix of players.

We are not the same team that we were when JPK was king of contested footy. But there's everything to like about the free flowing, high pressure, quick ball movement squad that we have put together representing the Swans of the 2020s.

I would say our transition from an inside to an outside team is now pretty much complete.

In our recent streak of 7 wins from 9, we've only won the clearances 4 times and one of those was against the Saints. We've lost contested possession 6 times and won 4 of the 6. We've had more uncontested possessions than our opponent in every game.

We beat teams on the outside: the key stat appears to be marks. In the seven games we won, we out-marked our opponent, the two games that we lost we were out-marked - Port by 54-49 and Saints by 102-77. We were also out tackled by Port and the Saints.

We are allegedly the best pressure team in the AFL so rely on pressure --> turnovers to win the ball back, rather than winning it at the coalface.