Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pre-match Discussion: Round 4 V Bombers @SCG

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Syd: IN: Franklin, OUT: McLean, Bell.
    Ess: IN: Heppell. OUT: Redman, Cutler.

Since the 2017 game when we beat them by a point, both sides have turned over a lot of players.

Players who will play both games:
    Sydney: Isaac Heeney, Tom Papley, Josh P. Kennedy, Oliver Florent, Callum Mills, Sam Reid, Lance Franklin, Dane Rampe, Luke Parker, George Hewett, Jake Lloyd (11).
    Essendon: Andrew McGrath, Kyle Langford, Zach Merrett, Dyson Heppell, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (5).
    That's extraordinary turnover for the Bombers - not all of it wanted/planned.

I wonder if Rowbottom failed a fitness test again and so they left him out or they just decided not to bring him in given its a winning team?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    I was watching the OTC vision on our defensive structure of pushing hard and leaving your man and going forward and manning up. I don’t know if this was specifically designed for Richmond or its ever present in all games.
    But this will be exploited by opposition at some stage as this will result in some mismatch in the defensive half and maybe teams will start switching play through the corridor with a hard running HB.
    Will be interesting to see if we have subtle change in plan for Essendon.
    If Richmond had kicked properly a few times, it could have been exploited on Saturday. I've seen examples of it in rounds 1&2, but this was its most pronounced use - I suspect it was especially for the Tigers and/or MCG circumstances, but we'll continue to see it used sporadically.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Anything to Sinclair being named as an emergency ahead of McLean? Is Hickey in any doubt?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Going back a couple more years, there's hardly a player left in both sides. That's what tends to happen when players retire or get traded and rebuilds are needed.

That brings back the memories and is the team I used to know... players no longer with us due to retirement and trades - Tippet, Hanners, Richards, Grundy, Smith, Jetta, Rohan, Bird, Goodes (not seen but mentioned as subbed out), Towers, Jack, Shaw, Pike, Laidler and AJ in the coaching box, That is 15 players, wow, and that doesn't include McVeigh who wasn't playing on the day or others like Zak Jones, Brandon Jack, Daniel Robinson, Aliir Aliir, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I wonder if Rowbottom failed a fitness test again and so they left him out or they just decided not to bring him in given its a winning team?
    If he has bone bruising of the knee he will probably be a few more weeks yet. I can take quite a while to clear up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Anything to Sinclair being named as an emergency ahead of McLean? Is Hickey in any doubt?
    Could be Reid maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Must be a nasty injury. Though im certain they would be thrilled with how the team is travelling, they would never leave a deserving player out of the team and deprive him of that chance to do what he loves

Senior Player
    Always great to hear from umpire bosses Hardwick & Clarkson letting their employees know which aspects of opposing teams games
    they should be keeping an eye on.

All twelve AFL site pundits tipped us to win and our current sports bet price is $1.19. Which I suppose should give a feeling of confidence. Although last week, those same twelve all tipped Richmond and their price was an even shorter $1.17. Speaking of which, I think Richmond started that week at around $1.45: so, an awful lot of money was lost backing them in. Possibly a bit of the ensuing online angst directed at us, was wallet inspired?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    All twelve AFL site pundits tipped us to win and our current sports bet price is $1.19. Which I suppose should give a feeling of confidence. Although last week, those same twelve all tipped Richmond and their price was an even shorter $1.17. Speaking of which, I think Richmond started that week at around $1.45: so, an awful lot of money was lost backing them in. Possibly a bit of the ensuing online angst directed at us, was wallet inspired?
    $1.19 seems a bit short to me. $1.35 is more like it. We don't tend to roll over the Bombers. I'm doing my patriotic duty and getting
    on Adam Scott at $60 to win the Masters. If I win I'll buy one of those 8 bedroom houses in Geelong and let Chris Scott, his barber,
    Tom Hawkins and Tom's dad stay there for free. After all, all Chris wants is "a level playing field". It's the least I can do.
    And then there is the great meeting at Randwick on Saturday. Lots of investment opportunities.
    Last edited by KTigers; 8th April 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Not sure if anyone has any feelings about how the weather may affect our style of play, as compared to previous weeks. Personally, I feel that with the pressure that Essendon are certain to bring and the wet conditions either directly through rain or indirectly through the ground moisture, indicate that our short passing game and run through the corridor must be affected. Formerly, because the ball will be more difficult to control both from the player kicking and the player marking. Secondly, as we all know from the past the centre wicket area at the SCG is diabolical in the wet, players losing their footing and just staying upright can cause real concern and you'll recall seeing a number of players treading cautiously rather than running with confidence. Dane slipping at a critical time in a Hawthorn game comes to mind.
    That being said the Bombers have a younger team than we do and quite a few that have never played at our home, so in that respect at least we may have an advantage. What worries me most is Franklin running around in slippery conditions, lots of ground balls in our forward half with three talls and the distinct possibility of Stringer getting loose with the ball hard to mark or spoil conclusively, he has hurt us in the past and his talent and speed to contests may be telling in a close game.
    I know this is the least positive take possible but we have had such a huge build up that I'm still glass half empty at this stage.

How do we measure kicking accuracy in general play? And kicking accuracy under pressure? Do we have better kickers than the rest of the competition?
    I am sure most AFL listed players would have to be able to kick to an open player 30-40 m away but what about the difficult kicks that some of our players are executing. Are they better at doing so than the rest of the competition?
    Marking on the other hand is a lot more studied concept I guess with contested and uncontested marks.