Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Australian squad

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    No Swans predicted to make the final list according to the AFL.com reporters. No Aliir either.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/670221/w...-make-the-call
    Which on one hand, is a bit of an insult, but on the other hand, is a compliment, because it suggests that we got where we are today through team work.

But still: Carlton 3; Swans 0???

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Which on one hand, is a bit of an insult, but on the other hand, is a compliment, because it suggests that we got where we are today through team work.

But still: Carlton 3; Swans 0???
    they are three pretty good players

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    they are three pretty good players
    Which shows what a rabble the rest of the team must be.

I'm a little surprised we had four in the squad. That reflects how, in most of our best wins, it's been really hard to find standout players or to find anyone who hasn't contributed.

Still, it would be nice if one squeezed into the final team. If one is to, it will probably be Franklin or Papley. The midfield is just too hard to break into. Their numbers stack up well against the competition (particularly on a per game average basis in Buddy's case). But they'll probably elect to stick a couple of midfielders at half-forward, thus pushing genuine forwards out of the team.

If Buddy were to make the team, it would be significant as he'd become the first player to make nine AA teams. They may be reluctant to do that for a season which puts him on the margin of selection, rather than being clear cut. On the other hand, it would be a good way to celebrate the milestone he's about to reach.

AA is an AA

Looked way better in our jumper

Senior Player
    Yes, Tommy!! Very well deserved.

Veterans List
    Just delighted for Tommy! What a remarkable story for a rookie?

Has Darcy Parish really had a better year than Luke Parker? I think it was it 2014 when Parker had an outstanding year but got looked over for AA team because some thought him too young. Apparently, the "rules" have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    AA is an AA

Looked way better in our jumper
    I think several people on this forum predicted this headline - very happy for him, but it still smarts.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Just delighted for Tommy! What a remarkable story for a rookie?
    He joins Kirk, Smith, Jack and Rampe as Swans rookie All Australians. Plus Lloyd made the squad last year (or the year before, can't recall). Are there any others I've forgotten?

Has Darcy Parish really had a better year than Luke Parker? I think it was it 2014 when Parker had an outstanding year but got looked over for AA team because some thought him too young. Apparently, the "rules" have changed.

- - - Updated - - -
    His raw possession count says yes, though that's partly because the Essendon midfield plays a style that flicks the ball around a lot. I don't have a problem with Parish in the team (ahead of Parker). His foot skills have improved out of sight this year. He's not just getting a lot of ball but also finding targets inside 50 with short, clever kicks.

Every midfielder who made the squad had a very good year. Some are always going to miss out.

If I have a criticism of the team it's with the balance of the defence. May is a true one-on-one defender, and Dale also plays quite defensively. But the rest are eye-catching intercepters. That's the new "sexy" kind of defender, taking over from the speedy, running half-back flankers who dominated AA teams of years gone by. All four have had good seasons, but would any team really line up with Stewart, Aliir, Rich and Lever all playing the role they play in their own teams? I'm not sure how many one-on-one contests they'd win. They couldn't all zone off and take intercept marks. I'd have liked to have seen at least one more genuine defender - Sam Taylor would have been my pick, but Weitering would have been a fine choice too.

The top vote getters for the Rising Star.

51 votes - Luke Jackson, Melbourne
    38 votes - Tom Green, GWS Giants
    28 votes - Mitch Georgiades, Port Adelaide
    14 votes - Justin McInerney, Sydney
    11 votes - Errol Gulden, Sydney.

Errol was the highest placed first year player. And it's nice that some judges have noticed how good McInerney is. Haven't seen enough to comment on the others, but I assume their votes are justified: so well done to them.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    That’s a great reward for JMac in particular.

His first few games he looked a bit aimless. But whatever he and the coaches had as a development plan between him going out of the side early last year and when he came back in during the second half of the season, it worked a treat. He instantly looked like a star in the making and has been wonderfully consistent and brilliant this year.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He joins Kirk, Smith, Jack and Rampe as Swans rookie All Australians. Plus Lloyd made the squad last year (or the year before, can't recall). Are there any others I've forgotten?

His raw possession count says yes, though that's partly because the Essendon midfield plays a style that flicks the ball around a lot. I don't have a problem with Parish in the team (ahead of Parker). His foot skills have improved out of sight this year. He's not just getting a lot of ball but also finding targets inside 50 with short, clever kicks.

Every midfielder who made the squad had a very good year. Some are always going to miss out.

If I have a criticism of the team it's with the balance of the defence. May is a true one-on-one defender, and Dale also plays quite defensively. But the rest are eye-catching intercepters. That's the new "sexy" kind of defender, taking over from the speedy, running half-back flankers who dominated AA teams of years gone by. All four have had good seasons, but would any team really line up with Stewart, Aliir, Rich and Lever all playing the role they play in their own teams? I'm not sure how many one-on-one contests they'd win. They couldn't all zone off and take intercept marks. I'd have liked to have seen at least one more genuine defender - Sam Taylor would have been my pick, but Weitering would have been a fine choice too.
    Did (2x AA) Craig Bolton start his career at Brissie as a rookie? Almost think he did. EDIT: No he wasn't (3rd round 1998 draft), but we picked him up in the pre-season draft.

I guess my view on Parish (who is an outstanding young player) is that, if the Dons just scraped into the 8, can they really have 2 of the best 10 midfielders in the comp? As well, like Luke in 2014, the AA selectors in the past seemed to have taken a view of "show us you can play at the elite level for a few years before you earn your AA jacket" - that was clearly not the case with Parish.

Agree with you on the defenders and Rich is my exhibit A there - none better in the way he attacks off HB but can think back to round 1 this year when debutant Erol Guilden made him look very silly indeed. I've seen other games where he has leaked plenty of goals too. Surely that is role #1 for a defender?
    Last edited by giant; 27th August 2021 at 11:28 AM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Here were the Rising Star votes, thought Jude might have snuck in both Swans in his votes but alas

The 2021 NAB AFL Rising Star voting
    51 votes - Luke Jackson, Melbourne
    38 votes - Tom Green, GWS Giants
    28 votes - Mitch Georgiades, Port Adelaide
    14 votes - Justin McInerney, Sydney
    11 votes - Errol Gulden, Sydney

Gillon McLachlan
    5. Luke Jackson
    4. Mitch Georgiades
    3. Tom Green
    2. James Jordon
    1. Errol Gulden