Page 125 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,489 to 1,500 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Buddy 50 plus goals this year and becoming a medi sub in 2023

McClean not being in the 22 for this Saturday

Luddy.......what's happening?
    That's this year. 2023 is another year and we'll all be a bit older and slower.

It's probably the last year for Buddy and Reid is likely to go as well. Next year is the time to transition to a new forward line. Let's use these vets to help get us there. That's the gist of what I'm saying. Put the younger forwards out front and let the vets play the backup roles.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    There's been a lot of talk about the team becoming less Buddy centric for several years, suggestions he play up the ground etc. etc.
    But it just doesn't happen, even in the PF there were far too many kick-it-to-Buddy-and-hope moments. Whether that's Buddy or the team's issue, I don't know but it's gone on for so long that I'm beginning to doubt there will be any change while Buddy is still playing.
    So maybe some enforced breaks during the season are the answer - but will Buddy be happy with such an arrangement? Is the match committee capable of doing it?

The one I hate to see is the kick to Buddy from halfback. It nearly always results in a turnover.

We bid on Jack Bowes with pick 11 before taking Olly Florent in 2016. Looks like he's on the market: Report: Top-10 pick tells Suns he wants to explore trade options (sen.com.au). He hasn't had as good a career as Florent to date but could we be interested? On the other hand Bowes wants to leave the Suns due to lack of opportunity and it's doubtful that we would offer more. Don't think it would cost much to get him. Sounds like provided we take his salary we could potentially even net a draft pick!
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 21st September 2022 at 04:52 PM.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I've heard he is on a big contract $600k-$700k, that's why the Suns are keen to let him walk. Not sure we could fit that in for someone who's not going to be guaranteed best 22.

Wow! That's a surprisingly large contract for not that big a name.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Wow! That's a surprisingly large contract for not that big a name.
    It's just the price the Northern clubs now have to pay to keep young prospects.....to avoid the go-home factor, they pay overs. It's a consequence of the Victorian lead removal of COLA and haven't the big Vic clubs had a field day poaching them ever since from the now financially weakened Northern clubs. Maguire calls it a 'level playing field'!

If Lloyd Meek does go to Hawthorn, they will have 3 decent young ruckmen at the club. One will certainly be looking for another club by the time Hickey retires. There's always a ruckman waiting in the wings if one is required.

I've been thrilled with how well things have worked out with Hickey. He's been far better than anyone's expectations, and is in fact, one of the beat ruckmen going around. I also think Ladhams will overcome his recklessness and settle down to become a good ruckman. He's shown enough to demonstrate he can handle the #1 role if he can control his emotions.

I wonder how much of the Hickey Miracle is due to Dean Cox? Is he able to turn a journeyman into a match winner?

I think Ladhams gave Cox as one of his reasons for wanting to come to the Swans,

I wonder if we might get creative this year with the new salary dump . We could front end one of our bigger contracts and have another club pay it and add one of our first rounders as a sweetener . As an example if could resign Papley front end his contract and smooth out the rest over coming years .

Another option if we could look to trade with suns for pick 7 and Bowes for our future first. Take on bowes contract that Suns are trying to dish off . He was a top 10 pick and up until this year due to injury was one of their better players . We could then package pick 7 and our first round for pick 1 from North . Then trade pick 14 from Melbourne to a club as a means of a salary dump like mentioned above .

So essentially turn pick 14 and 18 and our future first into Pick 1 , Bowes and a salary dump to keep the current squad together and gain some salary cap relief.

Swans are the best in the business at finding anomalies in new trading rules so watch this space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post

We could then package pick 7 and our first round for pick 1 from North .

Some interesting ideas, but no club would accept 7 and 18 for pick 1 as that is massive unders. 7 and 14 is still too far.

I recall scenarios last year were around 4 and 7 for 1?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I wonder if we might get creative this year with the new salary dump . We could front end one of our bigger contracts and have another club pay it and add one of our first rounders as a sweetener . As an example if could resign Papley front end his contract and smooth out the rest over coming years .

Another option if we could look to trade with suns for pick 7 and Bowes for our future first. Take on bowes contract that Suns are trying to dish off . He was a top 10 pick and up until this year due to injury was one of their better players . We could then package pick 7 and our first round for pick 1 from North . Then trade pick 14 from Melbourne to a club as a means of a salary dump like mentioned above .

So essentially turn pick 14 and 18 and our future first into Pick 1 , Bowes and a salary dump to keep the current squad together and gain some salary cap relief.

Swans are the best in the business at finding anomalies in new trading rules so watch this space

So, isn't that just "dumping" Paps salary (as per your example) and then picking up another "dumped" salary in Bowes, resulting in no net salary relief? And we aren't really in need of another small defender, are we?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017