Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 20, vs GWS at the SCG, on Saturday 30 July, 2:10 PM

Hey, two things:

First, what do all make of Cunningham's ongoing non-selection? Has he lost his place in the best 22? - it would seem so. If so, what does that mean for his career?

Harry turns 29 at the end of the year and is out of contract. I can't imagine we'd straight out delist him but if he's not best 22 then he's going to be looking at a pay cut to a level that might not be tenable. I don't think they often do that to senior players, like him. How is this going to play out? Is he going to win back his spot in the best 22. Is he just a depth player from now on? I don't think we can hope to trade him because he's a free agent and anyway I'm not sure that many clubs would take him despite how good he is.

Second, if Ladhams is still convalescing and Hickey is injured too, is there any chance we would recall Sinclair? - or has he definitely played his last AFL game? I tend to think we would probably prefer makeshift options like Reid and Amartey but I wouldn't entirely rule out a recall for Sinclair if both Hickey and Ladhams are unavailable.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

JMac is playing wing. See heat map:

IMG_7BEBEECB24AD-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Hey, two things:

First, what do all make of Cunningham's ongoing non-selection? Has he lost his place in the best 22? - it would seem so. If so, what does that mean for his career?

Harry turns 29 at the end of the year and is out of contract. I can't imagine we'd straight out delist him but if he's not best 22 then he's going to be looking at a pay cut to a level that might not be tenable. I don't think they often do that to senior players, like him. How is this going to play out? Is he going to win back his spot in the best 22. Is he just a depth player from now on? I don't think we can hope to trade him because he's a free agent and anyway I'm not sure that many clubs would take him despite how good he is.

Second, if Ladhams is still convalescing and Hickey is injured too, is there any chance we would recall Sinclair? - or has he definitely played his last AFL game? I tend to think we would probably prefer makeshift options like Reid and Amartey but I wouldn't entirely rule out a recall for Sinclair if both Hickey and Ladhams are unavailable.
    The latest injury report suggests Ladhams is one week away. So will they go for makeshift rucks for one game should Hickey miss? All will be revealed on Thursday evening!

Cunningham is certainly struggling to regain his spot but I would not write him off yet. He has a lot of credits in the bank and has not lost his pace.

Regular in the Side
    Wonder if Horse has appeared in the media yet this week? He usually has one meet the press at the beginning of the week (usually Mondays) to talk about the next game. There would be a little more promotion for derby games you wonder. Hope that it is the reason for the delay instead of something not good.

Senior Player
    Hey, two things:

Two words (though from a long time ago): Ryan O'Keefe

Poor Cunningham could spend 85% of his time in the 2s next year, despite being a very serviceable player who has given us great service. The only way I see him getting back in the team now is injury, or if a midfielder lost form and they swing Florent back to the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The latest injury report suggests Ladhams is one week away. So will they go for makeshift rucks for one game should Hickey miss? All will be revealed on Thursday evening!

Cunningham is certainly struggling to regain his spot but I would not write him off yet. He has a lot of credits in the bank and has not lost his pace.
    Yes, I think Cunningham is largely just paying the price, of getting injured at the wrong time, in a team that has very few injuries. An injury or two, and he'll probably earn a promotion, as his small amount of VFL form has been very good.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    3 thoughts from me

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No unforced changes unless it is for specific match up needs.
    I appreciate Clarke's efforts, and understand the support he's receiving after his last 3 weeks doing a negating role on a dangerous half back.
    But he really needs a target to retain his spot - I don't see him as a ball distibutor. So who should we set him against this week? Lachie Ash would be he ideal target, a runner, but he's not exactly running hot. Isaac Cumming on the other hand plays much taller than his height, a bit like Dawson - so perhaps aim at him? He could also be played against a outside midfielder, perhaps Coniglio, or Josh Kelly if he plays?

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think that is one of Wilbur's key roles - to be the link between defence and the forwards. He has played it pretty well this year. It's not spectacular but can relieve a lot of pressure. One on one he's a pretty reliable mark
    Chad Cornes on Footy Classified suggested he should have a crack at the midfield. In hindsight I wonder whether the Swans have been preparing him for somehing like that? His game has considerably more hard edges now that when he began as a will-of-the-wisp opportunistic forward. I've not seen the suggestion by any RWOer, did we overlook it?

I don't believe it will happen, but it's definitely a possibility, Sinkers played a pretty good game in the 2's last weekend - much improved. And Hickey is just not right atm.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    3 thoughts from me

I appreciate Clarke's efforts, and understand the support he's receiving after his last 3 weeks doing a negating role on a dangerous half back.
    But he really needs a target to retain his spot - I don't see him as a ball distibutor. So who should we set him against this week? Lachie Ash would be he ideal target, a runner, but he's not exactly running hot. Isaac Cumming on the other hand plays much taller than his height, a bit like Dawson - so perhaps aim at him? He could also be played against a outside midfielder, perhaps Coniglio, or Josh Kelly if he plays?

Chad Cornes on Footy Classified suggested he should have a crack at the midfield. In hindsight I wonder whether the Swans have been preparing him for somehing like that? His game has considerably more hard edges now that when he began as a will-of-the-wisp opportunistic forward. I've not seen the suggestion by any RWOer, did we overlook it?

I don't believe it will happen, but it's definitely a possibility, Sinkers played a pretty good game in the 2's last weekend - much improved. And Hickey is just not right atm.
    It’s a tough one re both Harry and Sinkers. I would rest big Tom this week and bring Sinkers in for a farewell game at home, as I’m sure he will do ok against the old enemy. Call me sentimental but he deserves a send off after his stellar service when we were desperate. We will beat the Giants, no probs! Harry is far from finished and will regain his place soon enough.

Giants rested several players last week. I think they’ve set themselves for this game with the hope of spoiling our run to finals.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    3 thoughts from me

I just can't see how we could fit Clarke in the midfield mix, given Mills spent less time there against the Crows, and we have the possibility of getting JPK in there as well. Matching up against a taller opponent wouldn't be an issue if aren't kicking to Clarke hoping he will take contested grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Giants rested several players last week. I think they’ve set themselves for this game with the hope of spoiling our run to finals.
    GWS always fire up against us and have a great record in recent seasons. It will be a challenging game. We need to shut down their key mids and starve Toby of opportunities.

It’s a tough one if Hickey doesn’t get up . You would t want Reid playing close to a full game in the ruck due to his soft tissue injury history. Armartey looks a bit lost sometimes in the ruck but is ok in short spurts. We also have Fox who has pinch hit in the ruck in the past but then we rob the pretty solid structure of our back half .
    Maybe we rotate the 3 through the ruck and bring in McDonald as the extra forward .
    This gives us the option of having Armartey and McDonald in the same side who I think come finals are playing for the one spot .

Out of the side that played on the weekend who all could potentially come into the side at some stage if fit are

Kennedy
    Campbell
    Ladhams
    Mcdonald
    Cunningham
    Wicks (medi Sub)
    Ronke

That’s some serious depth with also leaving out Sheldrick And Roberts who have had a taste this year
    Then you have Gould and melican that offer defensive tall depth that we haven’t needed so far .

We have a pretty small injury list at the moment but that can change pretty quickly but I think we have most bases covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast