Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 21, vs North Melbourne at Marvel, on Sunday 7 August, 1:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Full credit to Clarke. He slogged away in the wilderness for a couple of years, then got a senior spot just at the right time. He follows his instructions and has performed his role well. He is not capable of brilliant creative footy like Campbell or even Ronke and Wicks, but he is proving to be a safe pair of hands.

Campbell whilst a brilliant talent is quite inconsistent. He had loads of midfield time in the VFL last week for only 14 touches. Sheldrick is also inconsistent. In particular his disposal is quite rushed which is less than ideal.

Of the small fowards waiting in the wings Ronke and Wicks look much more AFL ready. Wicks is the most creative of the two with very precise ball movement, but needs to fix his goal kicking. Ronke is solid and at 25 years (like Clarke) is more reliable than the younger ones.

Going into finals the experienced reliable players will get the spots. Clarke will stay in unless he has two bad games in a row. Given the work he has done and his maturity it is hard to see this happening.
    Exactly right re Clarke. He does everything asked of him and suffocates his opponents. They can't all be stars in the 22 and you need someone to play the stopper role particularly against the strong sides. He is disciplined, great endurance and even pops up for a goal occasionally. He stays unless there is not a role for him

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Swapping the 23rd-best for the 22nd-best player on our list shouldn't make any difference to the result. At this stage of the season ensuring all the pieces work well together should be the focus. I can't see Roberts or Sheldrick getting another senior game, unless there are lots of injuries.
    +1

Clarke should stay.....he's been highly effective in recent weeks. Minimal tinkering now with a winning line up so close to finals.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    +1

Clarke should stay.....he's been highly effective in recent weeks. Minimal tinkering now with a winning line up so close to finals.
    You can’t tell me Campbell couldn’t play a lock down role if asked. He’d have the advantage of not being a deer in the headlights when he got the ball.

On the veteran's list
    Final team. In McDonald for Amartey

Veteran Site Admin
    Campbell’s endurance isn’t close to Clarke’s right now, and he may never reach Clarke’s level. He’s got greater raw speed but that’s not so much value in a tagging role if you can’t keep it up for the whole game, or if you can’t spend as long on the ground as the player you’re tagging.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The final changes

OUT: Bonar, Archer, J Walker, Turner, Spicer
    IN: A Hall, Corr, Lachie Young, Curtis

OUT: Amartey, J P Kennedy
    IN: Logan McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    You can’t tell me Campbell couldn’t play a lock down role if asked. He’d have the advantage of not being a deer in the headlights when he got the ball.
    Clearly if he could he would.

I don’t get the wish to drop Clarke. Keep him in, he’s going to be playing on Daicos next week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Mark my words , Clarke will not be in a flag side for us or in our 22 next yr

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Clearly if he could he would.
    I don’t get the wish to drop Clarke. Keep him in, he’s going to be playing on Daicos next week.
    Totally agree I may be wrong but I think when Ryan plays this year we have a 100% win rate.
    An example of a player who coaches have identified as having particular shortcoming who has taken that on board and worked hard on his game at a lower level and is now being recognised for his hard work.
    Give me performance over potential any day.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    You said that or similar sentiments about the one who can’t be named and now he is probably one of the first dozen or so players picked.
    You often have great insights but for some reason seem to think we need a team of 25 plus disposal creative geniuses to be any good.
    TB it’s a team game and a team is the sum of many parts
    Give me a player who knows his role and fulfils it successfully over a player who constantly try’s to play to his potential any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    many thought the same about Mitch Morton and Paul Bevan but they ended up premiership players

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    You said that or similar sentiments about the one who can’t be named and now he is probably one of the first dozen or so players picked.
    You often have great insights but for some reason seem to think we need a team of 25 plus disposal creative geniuses to be any good.
    TB it’s a team game and a team is the sum of many parts
    Give me a player who knows his role and fulfils it successfully over a player who constantly try’s to play to his potential any day of the week.
    Happy with role players , we are winning with them now arent we . They always get overtaken . How many 250 /,300 game role players have there been ? Stuff all . Eventually better players who can do that role just as good but have more natural talent come through . I am not suggesting Clarke be delisted , hes good depth but you watch , Gus Campbell and Roberts will all be in the team next year , and Sheather will be pushing if he can stay fit !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    many thought the same about Mitch Morton and Paul Bevan but they ended up premiership players
    Depth of talent on our list back then isnt what it is now .

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast