Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2023

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm also curious about what's going on with Caleb Mitchell. Pretty sure he didn't play and I don't remember hearing anything about him being injured.
    Ditto. He missed the previous game through illness but that was before the bye. One would think he would have recovered by now unless its something more serious.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Blog Entries
    Are people done with R. Clarke? Looks like he had a good game in the 2s but seems to never perform well when he gets the call up

No. He did a cracker of a job last season as a defensive forward. He was the only one who lowered Nick Daicos's colours last year.

A rare good article about the VFL from the Swans website: VFL Coaches Corner: Round Four (sydneyswans.com.au). Great to hear the positive feedback about Lachie McAndrew. Looks like he's going to break through for some AFL games sooner or later. Also wonderful to get some rare as commentary on the VFL listed players!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    No. He did a cracker of a job last season as a defensive forward. He was the only one who lowered Nick Daicos's colours last year.
    He was lightly used in the first half and then was key in the reserves match 15/4. Agree he was a key run with, and shut down player late last year. When fit, he is like Cunningham and if we need 2, both play. Just need to decide if we need to close the game down and limit attacking play..

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Speaking of Clarke he was the only Swan to get a coaches vote in the VFL game

Sydney Swans 12.7 (79) def by North Melbourne 17.19 (121)
    9 Paul Curtis (NM)
    8 Aaron Hall (NM)
    4 Aiden Bonar (NM)
    3 Charlie Lazzaro (NM)
    2 Phoenix Spicer (NM)
    2 Jack Watkins (NM)
    1 Miller Bergman (NM)
    1 Ryan Clarke (SS)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    He was lightly used in the first half and then was key in the reserves match 15/4. Agree he was a key run with, and shut down player late last year. When fit, he is like Cunningham and if we need 2, both play. Just need to decide if we need to close the game down and limit attacking play..
    I think that's what's stopping so many other coaches from putting the clamps on Daicos.
    This year averaging 36 disposals per game, he's 1st in Effective Disposals Per Game, and almost never tackles or gets tackled - 2 free kicks against for the year FFS.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    A rare good article about the VFL from the Swans website: VFL Coaches Corner: Round Four (sydneyswans.com.au). Great to hear the positive feedback about Lachie McAndrew. Looks like he's going to break through for some AFL games sooner or later. Also wonderful to get some rare as commentary on the VFL listed players!
    I didn't see the whole North game - I just couldn't watch it all - but I'm still a bystander when it comes to the McAndrew bandwagon.

"he has been really good in the ruck. He has been winning his hitouts" - Taps are nice, but if you're 210cm tall it should be damn near impossible not to win the taps.

"he has really taken a step forward this year and he is heading in the right direction" - nice to see such a nice pair of cliches

"If he keeps going the way he is going an opportunity will arise for him at AFL level at some point so he has been really good" Yep, if Ladhams falls over, we'll need to play BigMac or reativate BigCox

"his follow up has been good" - that is very good news, I regard vigour as the most important asset a ruckman can have.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Good news - Konstanty and Hickey to play VFL this week!

VFL Team: Hickey and Konstanty named

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwell_Miguel View Post
    Are people done with R. Clarke? Looks like he had a good game in the 2s but seems to never perform well when he gets the call up
    I respectfully disagree. He was an important ingredient in our success in the second half of last season. His ability to negate key rebounding defenders from the opposition was really significant. Not everyone has to be (or can be) Chad Warner or Erol Gulden. But there are many ways of making a valuable contribution.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good news - Konstanty and Hickey to play VFL this week!

VFL Team: Hickey and Konstanty named
    Interesting that Kirk and Cleary have been named. Both have been doing really well as inside mids at academy level. While academy players often don't get much game time at VFL level, the team currently lacks inside mids, with Sheldrick being the only genuine one.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Interesting that Kirk and Cleary have been named. Both have been doing really well as inside mids at academy level. While academy players often don't get much game time at VFL level, the team currently lacks inside mids, with Sheldrick being the only genuine one.
    I'm very much interested in seeing how Kirk goes in the VFL. He played a couple of games last year but struggled to have any impact (and was consigned to the "guarding space" role that many of the younger top-ups suffer in the VFL team). He's been so strong in an on-ball role this year with the academy team, and this will help to benchmark whether he is a prospect to be drafted at the end of this season. I suspect he might lack a stand-out attribute but sometimes, if a player can hunt the ball persistently and use it cleanly, they can still graduate to AFL level even without pace, size or extreme skill.