Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: R11 Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, The Marn Grook Game - Match Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Speaking of noteworthy,
    did anyone else note the interraction between Lloyd and the Lizard in the first quarter as to who was going to take a kick in?
    I missed this. Was there a disagreement?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Re McAndrew he’s come a long way since last year when he wasn’t even rucking regularly in the VFL. I know he’s getting a chance partly due to circumstances with the injuries to our tall forwards but they wouldn’t be playing him if they didn’t think he was ready

He had a great hitout to advantage at a centre bounce in the 3rd quarter. Hit it straight down to the moving Papley allowing a clean clearance

In any case regardless of what kind of AFL career he makes for himself he’ll be a future trivia question as the first Swan drafted in the mid season to play a senior game

Regular in the Side
    McAndrew had the best Hitout to Advantage % for all ruckmen on the ground, for what it is worth.
    Also TDK attended 18 ruck contests and did not achieve a single hitout to advantage.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Re McAndrew he’s come a long way since last year when he wasn’t even rucking regularly in the VFL. I know he’s getting a chance partly due to circumstances with the injuries to our tall forwards but they wouldn’t be playing him if they didn’t think he was ready

He had a great hitout to advantage at a centre bounce in the 3rd quarter. Hit it straight down to the moving Papley allowing a clean clearance

In any case regardless of what kind of AFL career he makes for himself he’ll be a future trivia question as the first Swan drafted in the mid season to play a senior game
    For some reason, I had had in mind that McLean was a mid-season recruit; but yes, McLean was a pre-season supplemental selection before the 2019 season.

The draft period between the end of the 2018 season and the start of the 2019 season was a fruitful one.

National draft selections:
    - Blakey (pick 10; 88* games, which is 3rd most of any national draft selection from that year)
    - Rowbottom (pick 25, 79* games (6th most))
    - McInerney (pick 44, 62* games (16th most))
    - Foot (pick 51, 2 games)

Rookie draft:
    - Durak Tucker (0)
    - Harry Reynolds (0)

Post draft:
    - Sam Wicks (Category B rookie, 39 games)
    - Hayden McLean (pre-season supplemental selection, 39 games)

Source for stats above: https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2018.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I missed this. Was there a disagreement?
    Lizard had the ball, was headed into the square, when Lloyd called to him. Lizard threw him the ball and Lloyd took the kick in. No idea what was said, and there was no disagreement per se. Just looked like the senior player was the shot caller.
    I noticed because I'm a huge fan of the astonishing boldness (and capacity to wreak chaos) of the Lizards kick outs, and look forward to seeing what will happen next hen he has the ball. Whereas many of Lloyd's kick ins seem to be dinky 20-30 metre kicks to the pocket.
    So many of our goals seem to come from backline thrusts, I'm not sure we get the maximum benefit from the oppositions points with the ball in Lloyd's hands.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Not wanting to derail thread, I recall us drafting Darryn Creswell in the original mid-season draft some 30 years ago. Probably the greatest mid season draft pick up of all time!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Not wanting to derail thread, I recall us drafting Darryn Creswell in the original mid-season draft some 30 years ago. Probably the greatest mid season draft pick up of all time!
    I think Dale Lewis may have been a mid-season draft pick as well

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Add Andrew Dunkley as well. If I recall correctly he was in the same draft as Darren Cresswell

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Lizard had the ball, was headed into the square, when Lloyd called to him. Lizard threw him the ball and Lloyd took the kick in. No idea what was said, and there was no disagreement per se. Just looked like the senior player was the shot caller.
    I noticed because I'm a huge fan of the astonishing boldness (and capacity to wreak chaos) of the Lizards kick outs, and look forward to seeing what will happen next hen he has the ball. Whereas many of Lloyd's kick ins seem to be dinky 20-30 metre kicks to the pocket.
    So many of our goals seem to come from backline thrusts, I'm not sure we get the maximum benefit from the oppositions points with the ball in Lloyd's hands.
    There’s heaps more dare and unpredictability with the ball in Nicks hands and I too get excited to see what will happen next.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Fair enough, didn’t think about the mid season drafts of yore.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Add Andrew Dunkley as well. If I recall correctly he was in the same draft as Darren Cresswell
    Not quite, I have cranked up the wayback machine and Dunkley was our 5th pick in the '91 National draft - interestingly Andrew McGovern (the father of Jeremy and Mitch) was our first pick, but his sons didn't qualify for father son. Cressa was our surprise 4th pick from the '92 mid season draft.
    Dale Lewis was the #2 pick in the '90 midseason draft, he was expected to go early as he was killing it in Ballarat.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    We should probably be insulted that Carlton is taking losing to us as a sign of how bad they're going but I'm having too much fun watching them implode to be offended!

Long may they linger at the foot of the ladder!
    Long may they rot in purgatory. Up their with the fairypuppies on my other club dislike scale.

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223