Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 24: Swans v Demons @ SCG

On the veteran's list
    I remember Kinnear predraft bemoaning that Errol wasn’t as tall as Braeden otherwise he’d be a lower draft pick.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I remember Kinnear predraft bemoaning that Errol wasn’t as tall as Braeden otherwise he’d be a lower draft pick.
    He plays tall much taller than he us, of course. Great leap. Complete footballer. How lucky are we.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    The Gulden brothers illustrate how random (well not entirely random, but you know what I mean) nature and nuture can be. Adam was listed at around 187cm. Maybe Adam ate his greens when he was a kid and Errol didn't.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I find it astonishing that he lasted past pick 30. I find it surprising he wasn't higher than 21-22 on many clubs' boards, but flabbergasting that he wasn't higher on the Swans' board, given they had so much more access to him and must have known about his dedication, work ethic and footy IQ to a degree that the other clubs might not have realised.

I guess it is possible that the Swans' draft board reflected where they thought he would go rather than necessarily their ratings.

Even if they (the Swans) genuinely only rated him around 20ish, they might still have chosen to match a bid in the teens. It might have caused a hurried trading of a future second round pick to get the necessary points to match or they could have chosen to bear the deficit from the 2021 first round pick. If we had passed on Gulden we would have had to take a player with one of the junk picks we had at the end of the draft. I think overpaying (as they might have thought at the time) for a known quantity would have been a rational response.

Imagine if we had passed a much earlier pick and we were now watching him pick up his first AA selection in another club's colours. Gives me the heebie jeebies to think about that.
    My understanding is they always intended to take him, simply because they knew they wouldn’t carry much of a deficit. Apparently they knew he wouldn’t go in that 15-20 range as the Pies and GWS - who had a streak of picks through that part of the draft - did no more than cursory meetings with him. They never thought he’d go earlier than that based on the intel they had, and the more likely window was Cats or Dees in early 20s.

As to exactly where we rated him, I don’t know.

My understanding is the bit that made us more nervous on draft night was accessing Logan. Obviously, JUH was going to the Dogs, Adelaide openly flagged Thilthorpe, and then it came down to what Norf did at 3. We rated Logan as high as anyone on the draft board, and couldn’t go quick enough to name him once Norf went for Phillips.

When you consider what Gulden has done this year, how elite Logan is obviously going to be, and I think Campbell has made great progress and will still prove a supreme player, it’s going to be one hell of a draft haul.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    My understanding is they always intended to take him, simply because they knew they wouldn’t carry much of a deficit. Apparently they knew he wouldn’t go in that 15-20 range as the Pies and GWS - who had a streak of picks through that part of the draft - did no more than cursory meetings with him. They never thought he’d go earlier than that based on the intel they had, and the more likely window was Cats or Dees in early 20s.

As to exactly where we rated him, I don’t know.

My understanding is the bit that made us more nervous on draft night was accessing Logan. Obviously, JUH was going to the Dogs, Adelaide openly flagged Thilthorpe, and then it came down to what Norf did at 3. We rated Logan as high as anyone on the draft board, and couldn’t go quick enough to name him once Norf went for Phillips.

When you consider what Gulden has done this year, how elite Logan is obviously going to be, and I think Campbell has made great progress and will still prove a supreme player, it’s going to be one hell of a draft haul.
    I was just thinking exactly the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I’ve gone back and read some of the draft profiles written about him, both from amateur watchers and professional journos, to see why he was not rated higher and from what I can gather it’s nothing specific but rather his height that was his “weakness”
    Your comment prompted me to go back and look at what RWOers were saying - there was a lot of love being expressed in 2019, wishing he could be drafted at the end of that year.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I remember talking to an acquaintance who watched a lot of U18 football in what must have been 2019. He told me to look out for 3 names as standouts in that Swans Academy crop - Campbell, Gulden, and Jackson Barling. He was most effusive about Gulden at that time

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Your comment prompted me to go back and look at what RWOers were saying - there was a lot of love being expressed in 2019, wishing he could be drafted at the end of that year.
    Just in case anyone needs something to do while killing time before our next match (on Sunday afternoon at NSO), I found this thread with comments from 2020. In addition to observations on Gulden and Campbell, it includes what must be the earliest RWO mentions of McAndrew. I haven't yet looked at comments from 2019. The RWO search function is a bit clunky (especially around date range searches).

Swans Academy Talent

Edit

I've now found the main academy discussion thread from 2019. Lots of Campbell and Gulden, as you'd expect. Post 126 includes a link to a Fairfax article about the pair. Quite understated in hindsight.

I cringed at a couple of my observations in post 152. Specifically where I described Campbell as not lightning quick (which, literally, is true but figuratively probably not), and where I suggest that Gulden's disposal isn't laser-like. Ouch.

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/for...019%3B+academy
    Last edited by liz; 1st September 2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add link to 2019 thread

Moving slightly away from the adulation of Errol (not that it's in any way undeserved), I also found it interesting reading the draft reports and seeing the highlights of Campbell. One of the reasons he was rated (and drafted) so highly was his ability to play inside as well as outside, but it's a role that we've not seen him used in at senior AFL level. I wonder if in the long term we will eventually see him there or we'll stick with him as an outside mid/halfback flanker.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Moving back towards Errol… did anyone see the footage where he broke a kids arm with his bomb from 50m against Melbourne?

The ball was obviously moving at speed..

Was looking for the video but can’t find it.

We know Errol’s kicks have a bit behind them…but Swans fan Liam felt it first hand 😅So we had to get him into the club to meet our latest All-Australian! pic.twitter.com/M4VqAu4hIC— Sydney Swans (@sydneyswans) August 31, 2023
    https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/stat...78487793283496

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    i’m-uninformed, a minor correction. I think you will find it was Hawthorn who had pick 3 that were considering playing a game by making a bid for Campbell in an attempt to force the Swans to take him so they could get Logan. I believe there were discussions in the lead up between the Swans and Hawthorn on this possibility, and the Swans called Hawthorn’s bluff by indicating they would pass on Campbell if this occurred