Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 2024 VFL thread

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Parkers one match suspension a few years ago is still one that irritates me. It’s being used as a means of saying he doesn’t have a clean record for this incident but it was imo at least completely unjustified.

6 weeks seems extreme in this case to me. I understand the game has moved on, but I was reminded of Justin Koschitzke having a cracked skull via a relatively minor contact which was play on and no suspensions (from memory at least) Makes such a huge difference to the impact with the player unprepared in any way.

Appreciate there were other options aside from blocking but there’s no way to anticipate the level of damage with the nature of the block. I saw the bump Callum Brown put on McCartin as much more sinister and had the potential to be an extreme outcome (it still does) for McCartin long term.

Hopefully for Luke’s sake it gets reduced to 3-4 weeks which imo is still a lengthy time out of the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Parkers one match suspension a few years ago is still one that irritates me. It’s being used as a means of saying he doesn’t have a clean record for this incident but it was imo at least completely unjustified.
    I gather they cited nine times he's been cited by the AFL MRO. One is that tackle, an act with no malice and not much carelessness given that it corresponds with the period all players were having to adjust to new tackling requirements. Many highly respected and credentialled players have sat out a week or more for such acts.

I have no idea what the other eight occasions were. I tried to Google, but I suspect there's no repository in the general public domain where this information is stored on a player by player basis. Could be anything from engaging in a melee, careless contact with an umpire, or slightly more serious acts that did involve contact with another player. Anyone have a way to look this up?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I suspect there's no repository in the general public domain where this information is stored on a player by player basis. Could be anything from engaging in a melee, careless contact with an umpire, or slightly more serious acts that did involve contact with another player. Anyone have a way to look this up?
    I suspect that you are right - the data likely exists but is proprietary. Champion Data probably have it. It may not be something that clubs want to be readily-available.

The best I could find so far is this at the AFL Ratings website but it only has current suspensions for 2024. I thought it might be possible to look at that site in the Internet Archive but the coverage is quite patchy.

So not many options other than web search for individual players and collate what you can, I guess.

Senior Player
    Be interesting to know how many times other players who are midfielders and have Parker's very lengthy playing career
    have been cited, just to get a bit of perspective to what "being cited 9 times by the MRO" really means. One suspension
    in 283 games ain't much. Man, he has been a durable player for us. Only once since 2013 in a normal length season has
    he played less than 22 games. It's like he has been welded onto the playing field until very recently.

Warming the Bench
    If Parker has laid that shepherd and the Frankston player bounced off him, got up and kept on playing there would be no suspension. It is all about the outcome of the action, not the action itself (eg Nick Hind (i think) going at Chad Warner with an elbow earlier this season).
    Based on the outcome of the action that 6 weeks is probably about right. Based on the action, nothing.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Trying to dig out incident by incident, here's what I could find 2015 - rough conduct on Grant Birchall. Fined $1500. Careless conduct with low impact to the body.
    2016 - melee at half time vs Carlton. Fined $1000.
    2017 - striking Mark Baguley. Fined $1000. Careless conduct with low impact to the body.
    2018 - bump on Matt Buntine. Fined $2000. Careless conduct with low impact to the head.
    2021 - forceful front-on contact on Brad Close. Fined $2000. Careless conduct with low impact to the head.
    2023 - rough coundct tackle on Adam Cerra. Suspended 1 match. Careless conduct with medium impact to the head

Cleared
    2018 - bump on Jarman Impey. Deemed to be contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. So stlll missing 2 incidents

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Trying to dig out incident by incident, here's what I could find 2015 - rough conduct on Grant Birchall. Fined $1500. Careless conduct with low impact to the body.
    2016 - melee at half time vs Carlton. Fined $1000.
    2017 - striking Mark Baguley. Fined $1000. Careless conduct with low impact to the body.
    2018 - bump on Matt Buntine. Fined $2000. Careless conduct with low impact to the head.
    2021 - forceful front-on contact on Brad Close. Fined $2000. Careless conduct with low impact to the head.
    2023 - rough coundct tackle on Adam Cerra. Suspended 1 match. Careless conduct with medium impact to the head

Cleared
    2018 - bump on Jarman Impey. Deemed to be contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. So stlll missing 2 incidents
    I've just been going through old copies of the AFL Record Season Guide, where they have a section on the previous year's tribunal charges. One that you're missing is a careless umpire charge in 2018, where he got a $1,000 fine. I didn't buy the book in the covid year of 2020, so the other missing one might be in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I've just been going through old copies of the AFL Record Season Guide, where they have a section on the previous year's tribunal charges. One that you're missing is a careless umpire charge in 2018, where he got a $1,000 fine. I didn't buy the book in the covid year of 2020, so the other missing one might be in 2019?
    Whoops, "careless umpire contact charge", not "careless umpire charge".

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Thanks deja, found another careless umpire conatct from 2020.Parker charged with careless contact

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

6 weeks seems extreme in this case to me. I understand the game has moved on, but I was reminded of Justin Koschitzke having a cracked skull via a relatively minor contact which was play on and no suspensions (from memory at least) Makes such a huge difference to the impact with the player unprepared in any way.

Appreciate there were other options aside from blocking but there’s no way to anticipate the level of damage with the nature of the block. I saw the bump Callum Brown put on McCartin as much more sinister and had the potential to be an extreme outcome (it still does) for McCartin long term.

Hopefully for Luke’s sake it gets reduced to 3-4 weeks which imo is still a lengthy time out of the game.
    How does a player that just blocks without raising his arm gets 6 weeks and Callum Brown with a raised elbow get 3 weeks?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    How does a player that just blocks without raising his arm gets 6 weeks and Callum Brown with a raised elbow get 3 weeks?
    Tangential to the Parker issue, but Brown didn't have a raised elbow when he made contact with McCartin. It was shoulder to head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I am a Parker fan, but was he ready for a recall when he didn’t get any coaches votes this game or the last playing as a midfielder?
    He is a 280 Game, multiple F&B club Legend. He should have had 2 weeks topps in the 2s then straight into the league. His "form" is if he can handle the minutes and how he pulls up afterwards.

All this BS about team balance etc, its Luke Parker. Drop Wicks, play Parker if he is healthy.

Pressure acts etc etc, if a Defender is lining up on Parker he is feeling pressure.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920