Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Afl Site

Parkville VIC after a lifetime in Sydney.
    Originally posted by BonBon
    Then you ask yourself: Do you go on AFL.com.au more often than you do other stuff?
    Nope. Therefore I don't want to change. Nor do I want to squint at everything else I do.

Bloody Tel$tra. The quicker I get VOIP the better! I know its not quite related but Tel$tra run the website.
    COMPARE YOUR BROADBAND PLAN AND SAVE - www.SeeknBuy.com.au - $15 Connection CashBack OR Free Delivery
    ADSL - ADSL2 - NAKED ADSL - Business ADSL/SHDSL - 3G/HSPA - VoIP - 3c FAX VIA EMAIL
    Mobiles / Cap Plans & 3G Mobile / Broadband plans - 5c SMS - VoIP on your Mobile

Originally posted by peterh_oz
    You shouldn't have to change resolution to read 1 web site. Most websites are designed for 800x600 - that's the "standard". Obviously AFL/Telstra don't realise that.
    "Standards" change Peter. Technically 640 * 480 (14" screen) is the "official "vga standard but some 4-5 years ago 800 * 600 (15" screens) became dominant.

Right now 1024 * 768 (17" CRT and 15" LCD) screens are the most commonly sold and within a year or two this size will be considered "standard". It's almost impossible to buy a 15" screen now.

I agree though that Telstra is premature in their adoption of this. They should have done what the SMH did and used different CSS style sheets depending on the window size used. This is recommended web design practice. Hopefully this might still occur

I also agree that horizontal scroll bars are bad in all but a very few instances (panoramic landscapes one obvious case)

Originally posted by j s
    I agree though that Telstra is premature in their adoption of this. They should have done what the SMH did and used different CSS style sheets depending on the window size used. This is recommended web design practice.
    Really though j s, with Telstra's track-record on web networks and general internet infrastructure, that's expecting just a wee bit much don't you think?

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Originally posted by Mike_B
    Really though j s, with Telstra's track-record on web networks and general internet infrastructure, that's expecting just a wee bit much don't you think?
    Probably!

Ever since Telstra took over about theonly thing I use the AFL site for is live scores and audio. Their news is always out-of-date or scrubbed clean of any interest

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by peterh_oz
    You shouldn't have to change resolution to read 1 web site. Most websites are designed for 800x600 - that's the "standard". Obviously AFL/Telstra don't realise that.
    That is true! There are a lot ways of building a web site to suit different resolutions. Maybe they didn't take it into account, coz 800x600 is so 90's.

Football Terrorist
    I don't like it.
    The Destructive Dan Experience - Featuring Teal.
    Add me on Facebook - Danny Pinsuti (Except Suzi Olsen and her split personalities.)
    238 AFL Games.

Senior Player

AFL website

Is the site almost incomprehensible to all of us or just me? Stupid flash pics that dominate the page , with little or no supporting text! I just wonder if the cash the AFL is throwing down the toilet there would be better spent elsewhere!
    Considering that communicaion is Big Pond's business, they could hardly have a worse advertisement for their product!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Is the site almost incomprehensible to all of us or just me? Stupid flash pics that dominate the page , with little or no supporting text! I just wonder if the cash the AFL is throwing down the toilet there would be better spent elsewhere!
    Considering that communicaion is Big Pond's business, they could hardly have a worse advertisement for their product!
    Agree, the site works heaps better when viewing through mozilla, IE just adds to the problem.

At least the gameday live feature works for me this season. I couldn't get it working to save my life last year.

I use Firefox. Generally the website loads OK for me but content and appearance-wise its very poor.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I use IE6 and it's working fine for me.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Flash is evil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123