IN: Stoddart; Melican; Gray
OUT: Fox; Naismith; Blakey

There is no point persevering with Fox in that running defender role - too many mistakes under pressure and I just don't see the improvement. He reminds me of Rose/Brandon Jack in his apparent fear of taking possession. I also think there is a pretty low ceiling on O'Riordan, although I understand that may be a minority view - too many kicking and awareness errors at the top level. So let's give Stoddart a go - properly, for at least a few weeks. He's been an emergency the last couple of games. I note barracuda's comment that he is not AFL standard, but it's his third year and I think it's time to give him another shot.

Either McCartin or Melican in for Naismith. I went for Melican to play on either Darling or Kennedy, while Rampe takes the other. I can't see Aliir really matching either for body strength. But, we might need him to match up on one if Ryan gets loose against... *checks notes* ... Cunningham(?) and Rampe needs to take Ryan. The absence of a shut-down small defender in the Smith mould is a real liability. Please not Mills, he's a decent loose man type defender, but it's actually kind of painful to watch him defend one-on-one and Ryan will be too quick and the others too big. (Of course, John's comments in today's presser are not cause for optimism although he did readily acknowledge Mills played well in midfield.) I notice Brand is listed as injured for the next two weeks. Looks like we're waiting for O'Connor.

Again, suspect this is a minority view, but Blakey looks really lost and down on confidence at the moment, and in my view needs a spell and a chance to build confidence playing at reserves level. It worked last year. Gray needs to up his work-rate, but at least he's a good kick and smart with the ball (yes, when he gets it).