Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB AFL Pre-Season/Rookie Drafts

Veterans List
    Can't seem to fnd anything on the AFL website, does anyone know if we moved the two veterans to outside the list by the 2pm third list deadline today?

If we did it may mean we are going to use more than one PSD pick, if we didn't it means we don't rate anyone available as worth more than a one year rookie spot - other than Bradshaw of course.

Did we get an answer as to whether ex NSW players like Ryan Davis are available as pre rookie draft nominations?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Can't seem to fnd anything on the AFL website, does anyone know if we moved the two veterans to outside the list by the 2pm third list deadline today?

Given there is an article stating that both West Coast and Port have cleared space for a PSD pick, it seems unlikely that the Swans have chosen to clear space for an additional senior spot. You would expect it to be mentioned in the same article if they had.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Anyone know what has happened to our young Irish recruit?

Dylan McNeil Trains with Sydney

You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Anyone know what has happened to our young Irish recruit?
    Not sure, at last reports Coney was still on the list and I have not seen anything to suggest de-listed him to remove the last year of his international rookie contract.

They would not be paying him so you would expect that they have retained him as the second international rookie in the hope he may want to come out in 2010 and give it another go.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think rojo is referring to the new Irish recruit Chris McKaigue. A report in on an Irish site said he just left Ireland to commence pre-season training here.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Dean Terlich training with the Power, that is interesting. Would have thought Sam Rowe would have been more in demand.
    I thought odd as well. Terlich at his best is a fine state league player, but I can't really see where he has the weapons to be an AFL player; and he had quite frankly a mediocre 2009 where he lost confidence badly, and was dropped from the Norwood league side once or twice. Conversely, Sam Rowe just got better and better. And screams out as exactly the sort of player GC could use.

Wouldn't get too hung up on Port train-on list, though. Most players who train with them are never picked up; and conversely, they regularly rookie players (even SA boys) who weren't training with them!

Sadly, I have absolutely no idea whether NSW boys (or boys who lived in NSW for a while) who are no longer NSW residents, qualify for the local rookie rule. Because we (absolutely outrageously) picked up the delisted SA boy Smokey Davis under the local rookie rule a few years back, I suspect that origin doesn't matter (or help) and all that matters is that you're a current resident of NSW and have been here continuously for X period. We should definitely take Malcolm Lynch from under the noses of the Bulldogs, if I'm wrong and the rules are more liberal.

Presuming always that he misses in the PSD, I fear that Matthew Panos won't last past the first 5 GC selections; he's far more capable of walking in and being competitive at VFL league level from round 1, 2010, than most 18yo rookie prospects in the pool. If he does last past GC, I'm quietly confident that he'll make it to the Swans' first selection. If we want him.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Not sure, at last reports Coney was still on the list and I have not seen anything to suggest de-listed him to remove the last year of his international rookie contract.

They would not be paying him so you would expect that they have retained him as the second international rookie in the hope he may want to come out in 2010 and give it another go.

DST
    Nope, definitely is delisted. They just took their sweet time about doing it.

Incidentally, is that nominal list of 9 rookie slots that the AFL say we have available, really accurate? I believe that all other clubs are getting 2 extra rookie slots as a sop for the concessions to GC17, to take them up to a maximum combined list size of 46 (usually 44). See Brisbane, the only other club operating under the same rules as us, who have 40 players on their senior list but allowance for another 9 rookies (i.e. 46 plus 3 local rookies). Shouldn't we be allowed to have 11 on our rookie list next year, if we want to?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Sadly, I have absolutely no idea whether NSW boys (or boys who lived in NSW for a while) who are no longer NSW residents, qualify for the local rookie rule. Because we (absolutely outrageously) picked up the delisted SA boy Smokey Davis under the local rookie rule a few years back, I suspect that origin doesn't matter (or help) and all that matters is that you're a current resident of NSW and have been here continuously for X period. We should definitely take Malcolm Lynch from under the noses of the Bulldogs, if I'm wrong and the rules are more liberal.
    IIRC the rule was you had to have resided in our region for the preceding 3 years - intended to allow flexibility to recruit genuine locals, but did create that loophole that a 21/22 y/o who had been on our list for 3-4 years and then delisted still qualified.

No idea whether that rule still exists in the same form - if so we could conceivably list the likes of DOK, Laidlaw and Brabazon that way if we wanted to.

But I don't think there has ever been any flexibility to use it for the likes of Lynch or Ryan Davis who have been on other club's lists and not residents of Sydney in the last few years.

Would love to pick up Grimes and McNeil in the rookie draft.McNeil reminds me of Bird ,only tougher.

You have to admire Henry Playfair. He is listed as Permission to Train with Sydney.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

looks like Playfair is moving into Media / Marketing anyway ??

ie the Play Fair segments and no interest from other clubs no doubt !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast