Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Port match day

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I thought Cunningham, B. Jack and Lloyd gave run and played their roles well.

Not playing the extra ruckman was the correct call. We needed the extra chasing capability against Port.

I wonder with Hanners ankle not looking good if Dan Robinson or Zak Jones will come in. They may play Membrey as an extra forward!
    I don't know what BJ's role was because he didn't get near the footy much. I don't think he is anywhere near ready as a senior player. Not hard at the footy and doesn't know what to do with the pill when he gets it. We need someone else to come in next week in the place of McGlynn who is hard at it. It was pretty obvious who was going to the vest in the last quarter. Also thought Rohan was the wrong player to come in. Although he should have got a free for a high sling he seemed to not kmow where to run when the ball came in.

A great win. Buddy saves the day. We were really out on our feet. Port certainly do seem like the fittest side int he comp. They finished a lot stronger than us.They killed us in the 4th qtr. But sometimes you just have to scrape through.

This win was so important. Now we only have 2 tough games left. But we were nearly at full strength and could have easily been beaten. I think we have to take something out of this game to improve the side, because Buddy may not always be there to save the day.

A few points stand out for me:

1. Rohan didn't record a stat. He was way off the pace of the game, which was very disappointing. I don't know what the problem is, but it's a worry. I hope he can find his mojo again.

2. I hope this is the last game we see Tom Derickx in the seniors. He's done a decent fill in role, but he is nowhere near AFL level. Bring back Pyke, and if we need another ruckman, bring in Nanko. We were getting killed in the centre clearances, mainly because Derickx could not compete with Lobbe. We were virtually playing a man down in the second half.

3. The defence has become very leaky. Ted is a bit down, but still playing well. But something is not there. I think we need some more speed an height in defence. Laidler has done okay, but I would drop him and move Reid to CHB. Bring in Membrey and give him a go in the forward line.

4. I am pleased with the progress of Cunningham and Lloyd. They played well today. We may have to get a few more newbies in the side over the next few weeks when the opposition is not so tough. I thought we really missed Benny today. We can't be so dependent on having a full list. It doesn't happen that often.

Anyway, Great Win. Looking forward to the replay in Adelaide.

Veterans List
    Leaving out Pyke almost cost us the game - let's hope we don't make the same mistake next week! Fabulous game otherwise, gutsy win against an irrepressible opponent.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazman View Post
    Be it Foxtel or Ch7 there both very average. Jason Dunstall and David King are bloody awful. Why can't they give credit where credit is due.
    I used to like Jason Dunstall's commentary, but I have reached the point where I simply can't stand him- I still think he can make interesting observations, but I just can't handle the constant negativity he spits out about players.

David King? Well, I'm sure the fans of every team have a commentator they think "that guy just hates us and can never say anything nice about us". As a Swans fan, I feel like David King is that guy.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But we were nearly at full strength and could have easily been beaten.
    True but so were they. Pretty even at the top

I think we have to take something out of this game to improve the side, because Buddy may not always be there to save the day.
    True but history has shown that when Buddy is quiet, Goodsey, Tippett, Sammy & a plethora of small forwards & mids step up. As long as at least 3 of our big 4 are on the ground & match fit, it will stretch the opposition defence & we will be a better than even chance. Pokes contested marking would likely add to that if one of the big 4 are out.

Rohan didn't record a stat. He was way off the pace of the game, which was very disappointing. I don't know what the problem is, but it's a worry. I hope he can find his mojo again.
    True but ... there is no but. He severely broke his leg. Many people (let alone elite AFL footballers) struggle to fully recover from such an injury. He might not get that blistering speed back. If not, hopefully he can adapt. He's strong and a great mark for his size, agile, he could be a very effective mid-sized forward if he doesn't get the leg speed back.

I hope this is the last game we see Tom Derickx in the seniors. He's done a decent fill in role, but he is nowhere near AFL level.
    Probably true. He's contested to the best of his ability under the circumstances & played his role. Mike is relatively established, last season he earned significant plaudits.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    David King? Well, I'm sure the fans of every team have a commentator they think "that guy just hates us and can never say anything nice about us". As a Swans fan, I feel like David King is that guy.
    My brother is a Geelong supporter and he says that about David King too!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Great win against a genuine contender and The Riser was rocking.

After a stuttering start, a superb effort by Buddy. While our possessions were well down on Port's figures we ended up making the most of what we got, and while Parker and Hannebery were a little quieter than usual they were pretty efficient, and the younger members stepped up, as someone pointed out. Kennedy was immense, and I think in Jake Lloyd we have a star: I saw one clanger but several great deliveries and he really knows where to be.

As for Rohan not having stats, he should have had one free for and a goal; outrageous non-decision by the ump when Gaz was pulled backwards out of a contest (by both shoulders if I remember correctly) in easy kicking distance.

I think Derickx was less effective today because he ran up against an ump who wouldn't allow his barging approach to the job, and the Port mids read the palm better than our blokes on the whole. Nevertheless the mids played well overall, and Kieren shone in his 150th.

Solid and occasionally brilliant work by Mal and Shaw. Ted saved our bacon several times and Reg put in on a busy day at the office. Rampe is still, imho, learning the fine points of positioning but he's a hard worker, quick and a good long kick.

This was a draining match to watch, and at that level I feel for the Port supporters, but I'll enjoy watching the replay.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    He's the exact opposite on AFL360. He's picked us for the flag and has intimated that he's put a fair bit of coin on that result. Has nothing but praise for the Swans.

What a fantastic game and what a fantastic effort by the team (with a lot of help from a freakish player called Buddy). Yes it was a draining game to watch and I would expect the players would feel the same.

I hope all those $^%&&^&&* from the media eat their own crap after the canning they gave the Swans and Buddy earlier in the year. He won that game for us.

I agree comments about TD. We were thrashed at centre clearances and Ebert was given an armchair ride.

I thought it was strange that after omitting Pyke and bringing in Rohan he would wait until last Qtr to sub out BJ who I thought looked all at sea during the game. I don't think ge is ready yet. Pity Tom Mitchell is injured.

Warming the Bench
    What a great result!

The finishing quality of Franklin in the last QTR was superb and the difference between the teams.

In a finals like game, the big takeaway for me is that when you have momentum and dominance like we had in the first QTR, we need to apply more scoreboard pressure. The good teams will keep coming and you can't give them a sniff - a 35+ point first quarter lead is a demoralising psychological buffer.

David King is 99.9% pro Swans! He definitely supports the "Swans Audit" belief (swans will show your weakness)

Great Game. Thought Port were better than the scappy Swans - but got by on a spectacular performance by Buddy.

Unimpressed by B.Jack, turnovers, poor disposal for an outside player and lack of awareness.

Rohan was hung out to dry a bit. He should have been allowed to try and influence the game more. Turned out he had 1 stat - no possessions, 1 clanger.

I feel like Laider is having less influence on games the longer the season goes on.

Rampe wasn't as clean as usual, properly a victim of the conditions more than anyone else.

Leaving Pyke out did us no favours. The Swans always preach structure and process over individuals. This choice flew in the face of that. Would have looked a better team with Pyke in, and probably wouldn't have been smashed in the middle as badly.

Jack had a very good 150th. Malcheski was not his usual self and was a bit scrappy, but still had a strong influence on the game.

Lloyd is building. He will be a 10 year player.

Nice to see Reid with a bit of confidence...he's looking good too.

Overall - the wet conditions....we seem to play poorly all the time! Maybe because we rely on quick, clean hands more than any other team, I don't know. What I do know is; if it's wet I always have a sinking feeling.

Glad to get the 4 points.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast