Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 10 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel - Match Thread

Veterans List
    Wow.

North:Sydney

(Screenshot from the AFL app.)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Let's wait until we get a team on the park that contains most of our best 22, not one missing 8 or more players.
    North were younger, lighter and less experienced than us today, and also had a longer injury list. If we get our players back, I suppose we should allow for North getting their players back as well. Anyway, a lot of our injured played are not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Not just the centre bounce, not just the stoppages, when the ball is on the ground, we are terrible
    We are terrible when the ball is on the ground and even worse when it's in the air. Lucky we are good at taking advantage of interchange bench violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Their confidence was way up.
    Maybe when we lose 7 straight, our confidence will be way up as well.

Veterans List
    I was at the game. Another thing we did was over handball at times especially to someone else under pressure. At one stage Campbell handpassed to Clarke who often just runs around in circles and gets into trouble. I would instruct Campbell to kick the ball every time almost. Clarke is tenacious and good defensively but lacks a footy brain.
    That was really poor of Campbell because he is the best kick in the team, but then again he seems to do that every week. In this case he could have kicked it 60 over the pack to an open forward line. Coaching!

6 things that stood out to me today were:

1. The appalling field kicking. As good as he is Gulden appears to have become too cute and tried to pinpoint a player in amongst blue jumpers. He had at least 4 brain fades in this regard. Maybe he has been watching his highlights reel too much. To his credit he went direct late in the game. North blocked up the midfield but we insisted going in there. I wonder sometimes if they are looking where they are kicking. A number of times Buddy was one out, had his man at his mercy, went left and our player went right. Maybe we have to accept that Blakey will always make mistakes when kicking under no pressure, as frustrating as it is.
    2. Goal kicking is horrid. That's 3 close games now where Hayward has botched a set shot 30 metres out in a clutch situation.
    3. Centre clearances. Will we ever at least breakeven and now our around the ground clearances have fallen through the floor.
    4. Handballing way too much, particularly where a player calls for it from behind. Why not when they are running past.
    5. Forward pressure; beaten again, 13/17. With Hayward watching from the bar next week (then again sometimes I wonder if he spends half the game in the bar) I hope they bring in someone who will make a contest up forward.
    6. Our spread on the break is non existent.
    Last edited by Nico; 20th May 2023 at 09:40 PM.

Veterans List
    Anyone got thoughts on McInerney's game? When he got the ball he was like a catholic outside the chemist shop; got the pill and didn't know what to do with it. And what was this tapping the ball in the air at a contest instead of taking the footy. If they called them a stat he would have appeared to have had a blinder. He appears to be playing bruise free footy.

Veterans List
    Matt W - those stats show that our players are not going hard enough at the contest.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Matt W - those stats show that our players are not going hard enough at the contest.
    We go hard but we go at blocking our opponents before attacking the ball. We do this I guess because generally we are not as quick as the opposition. Came unstuck today. North played well and got a sniff. Might be a one off for them after the week they had.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Footage of what happened with the interchanges available on some websites, e.g The Roar.

Norf's problem occurred when they had one interchange left but 2 players came off at once. Interestingly, the footage shows that Dane Rampe ran from the coaches box to the sideline to point out that Norf had breached the rules.

Senior Player
    That was really poor of Campbell because he is the best kick in the team, but then again he seems to do that every week. In this case he could have kicked it 60 over the pack to an open forward line. Coaching!

6 things that stood out to me today were:

1. The appalling field kicking. As good as he is Gulden appears to have become too cute and tried to pinpoint a player in amongst blue jumpers. He had at least 4 brain fades in this regard. Maybe he has been watching his highlights reel too much. To his credit he went direct late in the game. North blocked up the midfield but we insisted going in there. I wonder sometimes if they are looking where they are kicking. A number of times Buddy was one out, had his man at his mercy, went left and our player went right. Maybe we have to accept that Blakey will always make mistakes when kicking under no pressure, as frustrating as it is.
    2. Goal kicking is horrid. That's 3 close games now where Hayward has botched a set shot 30 metres out in a clutch situation.
    3. Centre clearances. Will we ever at least breakeven and now our around the ground clearances have fallen through the floor.
    4. Handballing way too much, particularly where a player calls for it from behind. Why not when they are running past.
    5. Forward pressure; beaten again, 13/17. With Hayward watching from the bar next week (then again sometimes I wonder if he spends half the game in the bar) I hope they bring in someone who will make a contest up forward.
    6. Our spread on the break is non existent.
    Reckon you're a bit hard on Hayward. Plays a role where he is not the focal point of the attack.

Veterans List
    Reckon you're a bit hard on Hayward. Plays a role where he is not the focal point of the attack.
    Yeh, I suppose he does, but after 7 years I can't work it out. Maybe he is the ultimate decoy forward who fills up space, but that's just a guess.

Veteran Site Admin
    Anyone got thoughts on McInerney's game? When he got the ball he was like a catholic outside the chemist shop; got the pill and didn't know what to do with it. And what was this tapping the ball in the air at a contest instead of taking the footy. If they called them a stat he would have appeared to have had a blinder. He appears to be playing bruise free footy.
    Are you referring to his tap into the path of Campbell who then kicked a goal? That was an intelligent piece of play. No point taking possession and getting wrapped up immediately just to prove he is tough.

I liked his game throughout. He watched the ball and timed his runs to use his pace to run onto it perfectly. Seemed to be purpose to everything he did. Much improved on earlier in the season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see how anyone can be happy about this game. We lost the game to an umbackable side, then lost whatever benefit there was to take from the game, a better draft hand, by being gifted 4 points on the ladder on a technicality.

I'm annoyed for fooling myself into thinking that we were building toward an extended period of success. But it now looks the national draft will be the highlight of the year for some time to come.
    I think it has been well established that to have sustained success, you need a lot going for you and have a great run with injuries. I think you've even alluded to this yourself. As someone said before, it's sad to see you go sour. It's as if your criteria for success has suddenly changed.....and all our injuries mean nothing. You're third sentence may not age well.....I for one hope so.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    North were younger, lighter and less experienced than us today, and also had a longer injury list. If we get our players back, I suppose we should allow for North getting their players back as well. Anyway, a lot of our injured played are not coming back.

We are terrible when the ball is on the ground and even worse when it's in the air. Lucky we are good at taking advantage of interchange bench violations.

Maybe when we lose 7 straight, our confidence will be way up as well.
    Wow Ludwig, this is just sad. Can we just conclude you were having a down day? A little depressed by how life in general is going and taking it out on our team?